Why manufactures don´t burn in their amps and ...

give a good (or the "right") powercord with their amps?

I´m tired to hear "you must it burn in min. 200 hours" or "it will sound better with the right powercord".

It´s like selling a Porsche which you can drive the first 5.000 miles only with 20 mph and youself must look for the "right" tires.

???

Thomas
tje
Thomas,
Of all the high end equipment I've owned, I don't recall any manufacturer ever saying the component "will sound better with the RIGHT cord". Some do tell you to use a high quality cables.

Power cords, interconnects and speakers cables are subjective, so there is no right or wrong cable. The "right" cable for one person may the wrong cable for the other, therefore high end manufacturers leave such choices up to the customer.

On the issue of burn-in, many manufacturers do burn in their amps on the test bench for an extended period, but usually for quality control/reliability purposes. Its up to the customer to do any additional burn burn-in, if they feel that will make a difference.

Glen
Well not all companies are alike, I recently purchased a pair of Bryston 28B SST SQ mono blocks and went for a tour of the manufactures facility.

They have a long wall basically dividing their work area in the back of the building and on both sides of this wall this is their area specified for exactly this. They just don't burn them in they do a non stop torture testing on every piece. I was shocked to see all these pces and was told they put their product through a rigorous list of test with source plugged in 24/7 through cycles including turning on and off etc.

The power cables they provided where your basic cheapos, better than your norm but they still stayed in the box and my Stealth Dreams got hooked-up.

Even with them doing this the amps still needed many hours of burn in as I noticed changes along the way, I just don't think it would be feasible for long periods of time. Bryston for example is not a mass market type of company, they build each pce as ordered and but at least they do this which is nice where as other companies do much less if any.

20 Year WARRANTY to boot.

You are going to hear more and more about these 28sq mono's, absolutely amazing amps.

I have no affiliation what so ever, these replaced my CAT JL3 Signature MK11 mono amps listing at over $40K which drive my MBL 101E's so that should tell you something.

Cars, well any car needs to be driven when new at resonable speeds to break everything-in properly, just the way it is.
Burn in, for either audio gear or cars, is not performed at the factory (other than rare exceptions) for the simple reasons of cost and practicality. Would you want your "new" car to arrive with 2,000 miles on it just so you could run it flat out on day one? Both audio gear and cars were originally (and still are) set up to be displayed, demo'ed and sold by a dealer. The dealer's gear is assumed to be already run in so the buyer can get a feel for the end product during the demo. I believe that 50 to 100 hours is plenty of burn in for audio gear to achieve its characteristic sonic signature. It may continue to improve over time, but after 100 hours you should be hearing much of what you purchased.

Manufacturers do not include upgraded power cords for the same reasons they do not include stillpoints for support or other tweaks - first, including expensive extras will not allow them to achieve attractive price points, and second, the buyers who want something different will never agree on what "improved" power cords, footers, etc. are best.

Of course, if you buy your gear on Audiogon, it will come already burned in, and you will have saved enough money to purchase an upgraded power cord.
Power cords? Burn in? Seating the Pistons? LOL, I love this stuff.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen a performance engine built and tested up to it's estimated RPM limits as soon as it's ready with fluids and exhaust. Never, and I repeat NEVER does anyone talk about a break in period. That's a myth propegated by the manufacturers to help people justify thier expensive purchase. If you buy an M5 BMW you can floor it right off of the dock in Newark, Houston, or Long Beach, it will be just fine, your friends in Bavaria built it that way. Same goes for your Nissan, Caddilac, Corvette, or Porche.

BTW, we have built 550 - 900 HP engines, tested and tuned them at extreamly high RPM's, then dropped them right into the cars to race (strip and road) without any problems at all. No break in required. Most were the same blocks and components that come with your car from the manufacturer just modified with some performance parts, so these are not crazy one of a kind engines.

Watch Horsepower on SpikeTV on the weekends to get an idea of the myth of engine breakin. They start at 5000 rpm runs, and go up after about 30 seconds, that's the breakin.
IF burn in were required, just think of the facility required.
1 station with good power for each amp along with dummy loads appropriate to the power. One good power glitch and there goes a couple months of inventory....poof!
The heat alone would put a dent in ANY electric bill. Unless of course you did all your burn-in during the winter!
Bryston does so simply for infant mortality reasons and in order to provide for the #1 industry warranty.
Also, I have read some posts where people periodically re-burn cables!!
No mention is made of the other half of the equation....that your ear/brain gets accustomed to the sound it hears.