would I benefit getting a balanced amp (BAT 55se) - given my pre-amp is RCA output

in brief,

I have VPI turntable (RCA output) running to Manley Chinook Phono Pre (RCA output) running to Threshold FTE 9 (RCA output) running to Threshold CAS1 (RCA input) running to Klipsch Cornwall

I am interested in getting a tube amp and am looking into a BAT 55SE, which has balanced input only.

Would this be a benefit given i would not be running it 'balanced'; using a RCA to Balanced cable.

Ag insider logo xs@2xtjjunk

Don't choose your amp based on avaibility of inputs.  In your audioroom there isn't really a difference.  

That said, the BAT is a very nice amp.  I like the 6c33c tube so long as you can manage the heat.  4 of them make a LOT of heat.

Jerry

If you ever do go to balanced outputs, make sure your equipment is following the AES standards. Many manufacturers add XLR input/outputs on their equipment, but some do not follow the AES standard-in which case, you don't fully get benefits of using XLR.

Bob

@gdnrbob I googled AES and it is an encription standard.  How is that applicable?  I'm sure I got the wrong AES.

Yup, the wrong AES.

Here is an article elucidating the standard-

https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

Or, just PM Ralph Karsten (atmasphere), to get it from the best authority.

Bob

@carlsbad 

+1

Best you chose your amp based on its sound. In the case of real audiophile equipment this is the determinant factor (BAT definitely qualifies). Then deal with which connectors to use. Your next preamp will undoubtedly have balanced outputs. The big deal is the sound of the component. If you loose a tiny bit of fidelity … it will not make a big difference.