Y No YG ?

Hi Everyone, 

It just occurred to me that I never see YG Acoustics mentioned. With exotic cabinets and driver manufacturing, I would think they'd be discussed as often as Wilson, B&W or Magico. 

Personally I haven't heard them, but I like their brochures! 

Best,

E
erik_squires
I'm fortunate enough to own both the YG Hailey and Avalon Eidolon Diamond and I swap between the 2.  IMO both speakers belong to the "modern" "cool" school of sound.  The YGs sound like electrostats when playing easy programs at moderate volumes, even when driven with moderately powered amps (say 50W tube and 100W SS).  But to get them to really bloom and sing you have to "skip the next rung" and go with mega high current amps that are unconditionally stable yet sweet sounding.  If you think a 150W to 200W amp can play it full range, then you are missing a whole lot of potential from the speakers.  Placement is wickedly difficult because the bass is definitely lean.  The Hailey is supposed to be a full range speaker.  Not quite, when compared to the similar sized Eidolon Diamond.  But the truth of timbre and texture it reproduces when driven properly gets it right at the level of Focal Utopia  Bes without the noticeable mid-bass hump and sluggish lack of pace of the Focals.  In my far from perfect room was able to get pretty good results bi-amping, and adjusting the bass amp to be about 2-3dB higher in gain than the main amp.  With that combination I can play the Haileys loud enough to fill the room and have enough authority and no thinning out.
@jackmonster I agree that the YG/Auralic setup at AXPONA was very good. It was the first room I walked into Sunday (because it opened early) and I was really impressed. I personally liked the YG/Audionet combo better, but of course the price differential between those two rooms was substantial. I walked out of the YG/Auralic room with a good deal of respect for the Auralic equipment. YG already had my attention before I walked into the room.
@soix 
Perspectives vs. YG Acoustic Carmel. My wife picked the Carmels and will not let me move them, a finger print issue. I am driving them with different electronics and different cables, and use a sub with the Carmels. I love them both, the way you love different children.  
Indeed...We were using a Rega Maia 3 amp with 85 wpc and a Croft Micro 25 Basic preamp and it drove the Carmel 2's beautifully in a large room....plenty of power, plenty of current...
@erik_squires To me personally, YG is the most well rounded of all those brands you mentioned.

All of those brands share their respective strengths and weaknesses. Everyone also has their own personal tastes as well.

However, if you are looking for a speaker to give you what you put in front of it the YG would fit that criteria.

They are extremely neutral and have almost an electrostatic like midrange. To me personally Mr. YG has gotten as close to the absolute sound. E.g. give use a dynamic driver with all the positives of an electrostatic but, none of the downsides. They don’t sound like a box. I don’t think B&W is in the same league as YG. As far as US made speakers you have to be looking at Magico and Wilson.

However, The cumulation of all of YG’s technologies working together. Making the drivers as stiff as possible (without some exotic materials). The cabinets without stuffing in them etc.. The Dual Coherent crossover is probably what sets them apart from Wilson and Magico.

Yes, this comes at a price but, the Sonja XV sounds incredible as do their other speakers.

My only regret is yes new they start at higher price than a Magico or even Wilson. However, YG only has one line not 3 like Magico has now. The A, S and M line all have different technologies and all have different sonic character.

I would love to see a YG under the 20K MSRP but, keep all the same technologies and qualities that make their big brothers so great. Perhaps we will see this now that the Magico A3 is a success at that price point.