Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Here is some insight from someone who knows very little about "audiophile" talk, doesnt care for graphs and isnt even sure what a push pull amps even is.

I bought the SuperFlys on whim only b/c of their intro special discount. (thanks ZU) I love playing rock and roll loud, the speakers look great, and I've been cranking them all week long in my apartment. In my case Zu did an excellent job of marketing to a new consumer base, im 27 and bought these speakers over a new TV and im glad i did because "Since I've Been Loving You" sounds soooo sweet cranked up. I hope Zu keeps up their marketing efforts to hit younger individuals who dont really know to much or care about specs, but that do LOVE the sweet Zu sound of their favorite band cranked up.

Thanks my 2cents,
CT,

Any chance you could make your two cents a dollar or more and give us some more detail? I appreciate you're not into the techy side and feel that's often a positive. Why should you hsve to be? However, when you're cranking them up what are you hearing? What are they doing differently to what you've heard before?

Also, how/where have you positioned them etc?

In a way it's all boring stuff but for those of us on another continent then it paints another piece of the picture.

Interested parties will note Gopher has gone AWOL. Presumably he's been kidnapped by music.

Mike
Glad you like the Ctaudio15.

I was actually in the same place when I bought my first Zus. Did not know much about speakers, repaired 30 year old speakers I bought from neighbours when they were cleaning out their garage, and now me and my family are listening to more music than ever before.

*If* you become interested in improving your sound further, I would suggest exploring careful placement and setup before spending money on gear. As you may or may not have noticed, this area is packed with people who obsess about gear, and there is very little discussion of music or actual sound. I have learned more about how to hear sound through experimenting with placement than reading any number of posts about "which speaker is best" etc. etc.

Zus play great loud : )
No such luck, Mike. I check this thread obsessively! I'm watching the Hot Fuzz HD DVD with the wife right now doing 2 channel HT with my Superflys. I love 'em!

I live in a condo so I can't really crank them hardcore, but they're "unreasonably loud" now keeping their composure very well.

They sound great with my First Watt F1, but Phil has me really curious about tube power...

See my system profile for pictures of my own placement. I am pretty audio obsessed, but my ability to play with placing is limited. If anyone has any suggestions based on what they see, I am all ears.
Thanks Everyone.

I have B&W 683 system in my HT room, love the sounds for movies, TV and music. Seriously no complains, 683's rock, to me they sound exactly what a serious speaker in its price range should sound like. 2.1 music sounds great, however After a year with them i think i was left a little uninspired. I had never heard a Zu speaker before, but I really wanted something made me feel like I was at a show (I love live music) figured with 60 day trial why not.

The sound differences between the 683's and the Souls are completely different. Not sure what the real buzz words are, but they just have a personality to them, where as the 683's sound exactly how I imagine a HT speaker to sound the Soul's really excel in voice and guitars. Keep in mind they arent fully broken in, but i would say they sound forward and tight. Guitar solos sound so much better its kinda scary. Jeff Buckley's voice on Lover You Should have come over makes me feel as if hes playing a few feet away. Been listening to RHCP, Pearl Jam, Jeff Buckley, Jimmy Eat World, Guess Who, CSNY. I think im going to have to look into a good DAC or different amp b/c im really loving the sound of older music on the Souls (sounds warmer), the newer music sounds a bit bright/digital/harsh. Keep in mind Im using a HK3490 receiver, with Trends USB dac running Apple Lossless. So a very low cost set up considering must people here are rocking $1k + amps. I just cant afford that right now.

Placement sucks, they are just in my loft, probably 5 feet apart with one wall against the right speaker. anyways, i can get one chair in the sweetspot and thats my happy place. I move into a house next month so ill get a chance to really set them up right and let them breath.

Ill take pics this weekend and submit them. THX!