Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Audiofeil,

Surely the whole point of audio forums like this is to assist in refining the use of subjective language. If you don't have subjective language then you're left with what? Measurements? It hardly needs saying that we don't measure audio by objective standards so what else are we left with?

The reality is that just because has different meanings to different people does not in itself render the term invalid. Pain is also subjective. Does that mean it's nit there or that some commonality cannot be found?

When Phil talked of the darkness of Druids I knew what he meant and he explairned it further for those who didn't. I have Naim kit which in the past has been all about PRAT although arguably less so nowadays. These terms are all subjective. What else would you replace them with to articulate the strengths and wesknessesof kit?

Mike
I've got a Virtue Audio TWO.2 with external battery pack in place and will offer some feedback on that with the Souls in the next couple days. Very interested to see how they respond to the extra power.
>>However, at 10WPC Soul is underpowered.<<

Ten watts per channel would be too few for me but I think as a blanket statement this isn't a valid claim. I'm pretty sure Bill is extrapolating frm his experience with Druid & Essence rather than actually having set up and heard Superfly. But if your room is not too vast and your specific 10/10w amp has enough drive, 10 watts per side may be quite satisfying on Superfly.

Though Druid & Soul are rated same in their efficiency spec, dynamically Superfly sounds jumpier and audibly more lively than Druid. Further, Superfly's deeper & better bass response yields a better sense of completeness at a given volume level, where the Druid listener might turn up SPL in an effort to get the same satisfaction, closer to maxing out the amp's dynamic headroom.

10 watts are 10 watts as we measure them, but as we hear them differences arise for reasons too numerous to detail in a message written on an iPad from a beach. For example, I put a vintage Bedini 25/25 class a amp on Druids and found it dynamically outclassed by an 8w/ch (if that) Acoustic Masterpiece M101 single ended KT88 amp. The amp/speaker relationship with a Zu single FRD speaker involved is far more influential than with most mainstream audiophiles speakers. You don't have the Apogee problem of some amps not working or blowing up. Instead almost anything works but some combinations are extraordinary and yield performance well exceeding spec-driven expectations.

Hence Gerritt and his love for the Yamamoto A-08.

If I had to guess, I'd venture that the First Watt amp for Superfly is the M2. But I have little doubt Gopher is getting real music from his FW-F amp. Superfly is the liveliest Zu speaker to date, and my preferences put aside, I can understand the 10 watts buyer not wanting a single watt more, if the rest of the amp is special on this speaker.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Every post you write I find very interesting and a joy to read, your explanations of your experiences and the effects on the Zu FRD are clear and concise.

Look forward to your next post.

Best regards

James
Phil, or indeed others who may be able to comment. One of the things I haven't seen here is how people might define the Superfly in relation to the Presence. Anyone care to comment?

Mike