AA for us

Is there such a place for us audiophiles: Audiophile's Anonymous? I feel that at this point that I am showing all signs of an addict and I am no longer a functioning addict, unfortunately. 

The only upside is that it is distracting me from other harmful activities such as watching the news x hours a day.

grislybutter

If chasing sound is an addiction and buying gear is the drug, what exactly are you trying to "medicate"?

I'm 100% guilty of trying to obtain the best sound possible, but I put limits on how much I will spend.  Not how much I could afford, but what I feel is approaching the area of diminishing returns. 

When I got seriously got into this hobby, there were no forums, etc.  The best I could do was read magazines.  My goal given limited funds was to obtain the highest rated equipment in Stereophile's recommended components. Mostly class C, occasionally class B.  My first decent system was an Adcom GFA555 amp, NAD 1300 preamp, and Vandersteen 2C speakers. 

While I certainly read reviews and forum posts, most of my gear choices have been based on my own research.  I've had a few duds, but for the most part, I think I've made good choices.  

I'm now tweaking with cables.  Nothing crazy expensive.  Mostly used because it seems to be a great value.

But, the music is the key.  It all started with jamming to 8 track tapes in my 1970 Dodge Super Bee..

very relevant article, thanks @shtinkydog !

@stuartk the more comments on this post, the better I define my problem, and realize that even if I moved into Alma Audio permanently, I still wouldn't be "over it". I need to find the OCD cure.

I have accepted the first step. Admitting that i am powerless over audio, and that my life has become unmanageable.