AA for us

Is there such a place for us audiophiles: Audiophile's Anonymous? I feel that at this point that I am showing all signs of an addict and I am no longer a functioning addict, unfortunately. 

The only upside is that it is distracting me from other harmful activities such as watching the news x hours a day.

grislybutter

OP… “I am stuck in the sound quality deterioration spiral.”

This can happen. It is unlikely in your head. There are so many variables and emotions involved… and the decision making process can become super load the decisions you make. If you have calibrated your thinking to the wrong set of parameters… let me just make something up… you carefully read / reread marketing info, and make decisions on measured specs, and actually like warm natural sound and are increasingly investing more… you are likely to be repeatedly disappointed.

The real trick is to recognize that there is a problem with either your decision process or the variables your track, or sources of info… etc.. Each step should be a significant advance… every one, and proof of process.

So, the only rational thing to do is stop where you are and deeply examine your decision making process… where is the process not working.

I would start by listening to other systems… dealers, friends, Audiogoners… cheap, expensive… etc. you want to find some that you really like and hate. Look for venues to listen to live music. You know you are smart… you can figure this out. Then read pro reviews on these. This will be your pursuit for a long time. You want an epiphany. “Oh sh@t!, that is what I was missing.” Take all the “addictive dedication” and invest it in figuring out why the expected outcome of sound quality is not what you are expecting, and what is your desire.

In the first years of my pursuing the high end I made some mistakes and some great purchases… I had to spend a lot of time figuring out the difference. After that my purchases became very satisfying and generally exceeded my expectations.

Along the way I made up little rules, like always invest at least 2x or more, or it is likely to just be a sideways trade of one set of strengths and weaknesses for another.

What is your gear?

I just ordered a bottle of Yellowbird hot sauce, a mattress and some 1/4" pegboard (my wife's birthday is coming up).

DeKay

@grislybutter 

Please do not take this question as insulting: do you actually know what sort of presentation(s) you prefer? 

If so, there are guys here who can recommend gear that will take you in a particular direction, at various price-points.

If nothing you've heard so far really grabs you, they may be able to suggest different presentations you may not have heard. 

@stuartk 

do you actually know what sort of presentation(s) you prefer? 

not insulting at all. I have a smallish room, I am close to the speakers and I like a relaxed but big sound, on the warm side - nothing fancy.

@dekay my gear is mostly vintage, what other people would store in the garage, boxed up.

@ghdprentice you are right, the issue is my process, not very pragmatic, just impulsive. It wouldn't even call it a process. But if I learn along the way, I should be to make smarter decisions. I am in the negative feedback loop where I feel the more decisions I make the dumber they are that make me unhappier, with my budget spent and reduced, and then I end up with doubts and a lot of lessons learned at my own expense. The opposite of rewarding...