Audiophilism is a hobby

This post grew out of another discussion on music vs. sound. According to a poll taken in that discussion, it is clear most A’goners claim they listen to their rigs primarily for the music. Although I don’t doubt the truth of that, I maintain that much of the listening is as a hobby, with music being a very important component. I’m not saying we can’t be profoundly moved by the music but rather that a lot of our enjoyment comes from the sheer sound emitted from our speakers. Great music is of course a vital part of the experience, but with all the manipulations we do with our systems, we  are fascinated by the idea of sound in itself as a hobby.

128x128rvpiano

Julie is the writer. Buddy is the producer. Neither could do it alone.

I love all Sarah’s albums but Build Me Up From Bones probably tops the list. The new one is infectious and brilliant, but more commercial. Not the free flowing sound of the others, but I think she deserves to have some hits and make a living.

I don't agree that working and paying to get better sound is not about the music.  I'm sure that enough distortion could be added to the best written, played and recorded music that no one would want to listen to it.   We pursue good sound to better appreciate the music.

@mashif Probably essential but he is also a musician not just a producer… if you look past the fraction you will find a play on the turn of phrase “ better half “….

Yes, let’s hope for some commercial success for Sarah ;-)

"Great music is of course a vital part of the experience, but with all the manipulations we do with our systems, we  are fascinated by the idea of sound in itself as a hobby."

Unless you sitting in front of a live performance without any amplification, the music is being manipulated. All the music we hear has been recorded, molded, shaped, mixed according to someones ears that are not are own.

Lets face it, IMHO everyone listens to music using a  ratio of sound & music. It's hard to have on without the other.

I mean if you love going on a road trip, you gotta have a means to an end. So how do you hit your happy trails? Thumbing, biking, riding a motorcycle, driving your car, RV, or OHV. Heck, or even cruising on a Greyhound bus (You can't say you've lived a full life without riding on a Greyhound at least once). Your ride is the  equivalent  to the "hobby" to listening to music.

How does that old saying go - the journey is the reward?