Benchmark Media Systems. Right or wrong

128x128mijostyn

I’m a big fan of Benchmark. Great products at reasonable prices. I do however have a pair of their speaker cables here. Compared to my Cardas Clear Cygnus speaker cables, they sound dull and lifeless. So I think they should be careful about making blanket statements - and in a somewhat snide manner nonetheless.  I’d gladly pay the premium for the Cardas cables over theirs.  It is not a subtle difference and worth every penny.

@jimmy2615 Speaker cables have to be matched to purpose. There are significant design issues particularly with low impedance speakers and subwoofers. If you use a bad cable for the job like using 24 gauge zip cord to drive subwoofers you will have a pretty poor result. I am sure Benchmark would readily agree. What they would say is there are many excellent affordable cables for any purpose and there is no need to buy designer cables at ridiculous prices. The very best wire is available to all of use and we can make our own cables for pennies on the dollar. Read up on cable design. Once you understand it you can design your own. You can even get the casing to make your cables look fancy. I'm old school. To me cables are something you do not want to see. They should be hidden. Another important issue is cables should always be as short as possible which you can not do with store bought cables. When you make your own you can cut them to exact size. 

My Benchmark DAC3B is definitely too hot on the top end. I do not use it on 2-channel but on my RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp running in Pentode mode I love the DAC3B.

Their speaker cables running off the AHB2 are just OK. They have some issues. I replaced them with the Audience FrontRow and massive improvement. The interconnects are not that much of an issue.

IMHO, while cables make a small difference, I like the fact that as you move up the line (Audioquest) the sounds gets better in all ways and not just good in some ways / bad in others.

Upgrades in speakers and electronics often have trade offs and a benefit in one area has some bad "side-effects" in others. Same as side-effects when taking pills.

I have learned a lot from dealers. As one told me long ago, cables, etc. should be a smaller percentage such as 10% of what you paid for speakers. if your speakers are 100K maybe 5k on Audioquest dragon makes sense.

@yyzsantabarbara My Benchmark DAC3B is definitely too hot on the top end. I do not use it on 2-channel but on my RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp running in Pentode mode I love the DAC3B.

I came to a similar conclusion. Had hoped to like it more on my 2ch system. Tried that dac with multiple sets of Cardas, Audioquest, Aperture, and others. No dice in my particular system. The description above by @audphile1 about his being "cool, dry, matter of fact rendition" is a great way of describing what I heard with DAC3B. Engineers there were NOT interested in hearing my feedback, in order to help suggest a different sound result or maybe trying for a different version of itself. 

I was looking for a different type of sound and presentation. Paid off to keep trying, and the next three dacs went in a better direction for me.