Best headphones you've ever heard/used

Well, the subject says it all I guess. I'm looking for two sets of good quality headphones.

The first one is an earphone for use with my iPod. I'm looking for a small pair of compact in-ear earphones. I take long boring flights to Asia often so it'd be nice if they were high quality and helped out with noise canceling. I've heard good things from Shure. Any other recommendations?

The second one will be for night time listening in my bed. These headphones can be big but hopefully not too heavy. I also need them to be wireless for at least 15ft.

Thanks in advance,
spacekadet
I agree with Theduke that the ESP 950 is a terrific headphone. It is smooth and full sounding while managing to NOT muddle detail -- a pretty hard trick. I too find the Senn to be a crude and rough sounding phone, relatively speaking, but then again, I did not hear it with a topnotch dedicated amp.
I used to have Etymotic er4p's, and unfortunately left them on an airplane never to be recovered. I now have the Shure e3's. In comparing the two, I like the Shures, but not quite as much as the Etymotics, which I just loved. I think the Etymotics sound clearer with better bass, and they fit in my ears better because of the three-flanged earpieces. The Ety's are probably worth the extra money. That said, both of these are great earphones and perfect for airline travel.
Grado RS-1 with RA-1 amp.

I prefer these to the Senns. I own the Senn 600s also, and they do sound more like speakers. They are less fatiguing, but not as musically involving as the Grado RS-1s.

I'm sure there are better headphones out there. I just haven't listened to them.

Rob
I have no trouble listening to the Shure E3's at pretty high volumes. Cannot comment on Ety 4-p's.
I find this interesting because my findings contradict a lot of other opinions on this thread.

I bought the Ety ER4S - used with various amps, HATED them, and returned them. Next to my MG Head + HD600s at the time, they sounded like a broken toy. Tried to like them every day for 2 weeks straight. No bass, thin mids, highs that hurt my ears. Rock music, jazz, and classical

I bought the Shure e5C - LOVE them for in ear phones. MUCH more - bass, dynamics, midrange texture, highs that don't hurt your ears than the ety ER4S.

So my two headphones currently are the Senn 650 + MG head amp for home use, and the Shure e5C + M Audio Audiophile USB with hard drive transport for work. I certainly prefer the 650s in general - More comfortable, more open sound, more of a "soundstage", but the 5cs sound great too.

For all people who are not a big fan of the sennheiser 580/600/650 on this thread... what amp are you using? In my experience, an amp is an ABSOLUTE necessity with these headphones, otherwise the sound will be dull, lacking life and dynamics and realism. The MG Head is a great match, for not too much dough, quality control at ASL is an issue.