Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

@asctim  not sub 1/10th millisecond issues that arise from the mass of the diaphragm, or slew times of amplifiers, 

My experience of slew rates is different. I am driving ESL's, and my amps sound good with 30V/us output transistors, better with 40V/us, and better yet with 50 V/us; that is, better transient response.

@drbay

"Be careful with Borresen, they are impressive first and very fast, but they sound very digital and mechanical, they do not give a natural sound."..........hmmmm, They give a beautiful natural sound.....Their "Modern" looks fool you. I’m sure you Don’t own them and probably Never heard them. I Own Them and I have over 300 hrs. on them. They are beautiful to look at and to listen to. Very Quick but Warm at the same time. The X-2’s and X-3’s are their Sweet Spot.

@drbay 

Be careful with Borresen, they are impressive first and very fast, but they sound very digital and mechanical, they do not give a natural sound. 

Not sure how a speaker can sound "digital and mechanical"? Please enlighten me.

My cousin owns a pair of Z3, and they are quite neutral, very good transient response, never fatiguing, produce a huge, deep soundstage. 

He's owned them since they came out, and he is not looking to get rid of them. 

@terry9 My experience of slew rates is different. I am driving ESL's, and my amps sound good with 30V/us output transistors, better with 40V/us, and better yet with 50 V/us; that is, better transient response.

Interesting. Reading up on slew rates, it seems a higher slew rate results in more power capacity at higher frequencies. So you may be hearing extended linear      high frequency response, and that definitely is a type of transient response. My hearing doesn't extend up as high as it used to. I think I stop somewhere around 15kHz.