Budget preamp with quality volume control

Dear Audiogoners,

I used to be a firm believer that the signal path should be as short as possible and, as such, I have been using the two-channel system without a dedicated preamp. For a long period of time, I have relied on the digital attenuator in DAC for volume control, knowing the digital attenuator would compress the dynamic range of the sound. Therefore, I switch the volume control on DAC to the fixed mode, bypass the digital attenuation and use the unity gain knob in the back of the power amp for volume control. Depending on the music recording level, however, sometimes I need to turn the unity gain control way down to get proper sound level. This is particularly painful when I use the full-balance connection because of the double voltage gain.

In short, I am looking for a budgetary preamp with quality volume control that either has relay switch stepped control or precise potentiometer for left-right channel match to curb the issue. I try to summarize important (to me) performance catgories as best I can for various good sounding preamp I know (with or without headphone amp/dac) as shown below. It is found the Schiit Magnius happens to have the highest performance ratio. However, I am pretty sure that I likely miss other good performers due to my limited knowledge and would like to solicit for your inputs. Your kind assistance is appreciated.

lanx0003

Used Peachtree preamps with built in Sabre DAC as well for around ~$500.  

I use the PS Audio Gain Cell preamp, have for about 3 years.  My system is quite resolving and I can attest that even at low, and sometimes very low volumes I don't seem to lose a thing.  No bass loss, no high end loss, all is still there.  The DAC is quite good also.  You can find them used from time to time at "The Music Room" website and you have a trial period if you don't like it.  They are very good to work with.

If you are satisfied with the output from your DAC, just need to be able to reduce it, then a passive preamp might be the ticker.

I'm using a Khozmo Acoustic preamp, 3 inputs, an outstanding volume control (i'm using the shut+z-foil), extremely transparent. The remote controls power on/off and volume only, the input must be changed manually (which is not a big deal to me...).

The passive preamp Schiit SYS is first thing I tried. Although many people have attested it is a good sounding preamp, I found the low end notes thru it are softened. High end notes are restrained and less airy. On the paper, the SYS’s output impedance is as high as 5k ohms so the ratio of load impedance to its output does not reach the desired 10. It has impedance mismatch issue. I am not thrilled by it and that is the reason I am only looking at the active preamp with gain.

Neverthless, I will keep looking into Khozmo preamp while its spec. seems not available even on its own site. Thank you for the recommendation.