Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

Showing 18 responses by lalitk

@noromance

Thanks, my tone arm is Reed 3P - 10.5” with Cocobolo arm wand.

@fsonicsmith

I thought about aftermarket bearing and platter but my dealer suggested that I should hear ‘stock’ 301 first and then start tweaking the TT with aftermarket parts. The upgrade like bearing appears to be a no brainer. I do not know at this time how much a platter would enhance the performance. Is Dobbins platter still available or is it pretty much unobtainable?

Jim @jperry 

Thank you for your recommendation on PS. I am familiar with your fine system and may have conversed with you in the past. How about this for coincidence, I used to own SME 15AV with Hana Umami Red cart 😊

@mdalton, @fsonicsmith, @noromance 

Thank you for the great insight on your journey and for sharing your collective experiences with Garrard 301 / 401. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to read! I did initiate the purchase of a Garrard 301 with full restoration, finished in Sable (black). The ETA is 4-6 weeks. 

As far plinth goes, I had the same vendor in mind on eBay as @elliottbnewcombjr linked above. Based on what I’ve learned here, I am going to query the plinth maker about the manufacturing process, materials and footers. I plan to experiment with the footers and eventually decouple TT with a SRA Isolation base atop my excellent core audio design rack. 

As far cart options, I am taking notes on all the recommendations so far. Three extra head shells are already in-house with Reed 3P tonearm :-) 

Hopefully, Garrard 301 ends being my end game TT!

@fsonicsmith ​​​​@noromance 

Thank you both for continuing to provide valuable insights on Garrard TT. I couldn’t agree with you anymore on exploiting the strengths of Garrard 301 or 401. That’s what my dealer has recommended, to start off with 301 fully restored to its original parts with a decent plinth. I would like to get a basic understanding of a Garrard TT sound before I start tempering with aftermarket bearing, platter and so on. I still need to figure out cart and phono options..lol! 

Any thoughts on record clamp/weight? I looked at Dalby’s ….way out of my price range.

@noromance

I hear you! My last TT (SME) had threaded record weight so I didn’t try listening without it. This is one of the areas I would like to see if it makes any difference! I do see reasonably priced options on Amazon, so thank you for that.

Do you feel the same way about mats? 

@noromance

As far as mat goes, I got my eye on Stein Music’s Carbon Signature. Time will tell if I this mat further improves my vinyl playback.

@noromance

Sorry I couldn’t help thinking of Beavis and Butt-Head after reading the comments by kcin & ddk 🤣

Update: Plinth has been ordered and it comes with M6 threaded nuts, no feet. I got one recommendation so far for Stillpoints footers. Are there any other footers that I should consider that would help decouple and drain any unwanted energy. I would love to install the TT on a wall mounted shelf but that is not an option. 

I am also considering Seismic Pods from Townshend Audio. Any other suggestions are welcomed! 

@jperry 

Thank you for the recommendation. I haven’t thought of height clearance if I ever go down the route of replacing the bearing. 

@jperry 

That Shindo bearing looks amazing! Do you recommend the Shindo bearing + platter upgrade. And does one still need a mat with Shindo platter. 

Update: Just picked up Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum after hearing the news on Koetsu closing their doors for good! 

“I’m inferring from the sable color that you are buying your 301 from Matthew Taylor. ”

@noromance 

Correct. As per my dealer, I am getting a fully restored 301. I entrusted my dealer for this project. He has helped shaped my system for past 5 years. He has been nothing short of a blessing in my journey to achieve an exemplary listening experience. 

As far as plinth goes, I went with Piano Walnut Burl finish. I tried to post the link but got blocked. If you scroll up, @elliottbnewcombjr posted a link to the eBay seller. 

@tomic601 

Congratulations on Koetsu Urushi Black. That’s a beautiful cart!  As Koetsu being no longer made, I approached my purchase for the history and the legacy. Thought long and hard about one of the stone bodies cart but couldn’t quite extend the budget. I believe, Rosewood Sig. Platimum holds the sweet spot in Koetsu hierarchy. 

Thanks for your recommendation on book (already ordered through Amazon) and footers. Speaking of mats, check out Torque’s CU2900 Copper Mat. 

@elliottbnewcombjr 

Great suggestion on dust cover. I went with 2 arms plinth version. The communication was bit of a challenge due language barrier, I can ask for “extra” width but that may not be possible as they start the work on plinth right away. 

“Something I would strongly consider first is just the upgraded bearing and the stock platter. The sound is so damned fun that way. Lively, dynamic, toe-tapping fun. ”

👍

@psf4972

I finally got around to checkout your beautiful system. One question on independent arm base, any challenges or advantages you could share would be appreciated.

@elliottbnewcombjr 

Appreciate your input on feets and dust cover. I am exploring my options. Lot of it will come down to what I end up selecting to rest my TT.  A solution from SRA or HRX may negate the importance of high quality feet. First order of business will be to rest TT on my core audio rack and Slim Cerabase feet (already in-house). 

@elliottbnewcombjr

The 2nd arm option is low priority for me. It’s nice to have that option in case I decided to sell the TT down the road. For flexibility, I ordered 3 extra headshells so I can switch out carts on the fly 😊

I am starting out with Konus Audio Vinyle 3000MC phono which is immune to cart output. For comparison, I plan to bring Tron Convergence Phono Stage. I was very impressed by Konus phono in a sub $75K system last year at AXPONA.