Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

ha…. just messing w ya…. wonderful to hear that about the Korf… ;-)

OP,

Congrats on making a decision, should be a winner! The custom plinths are gorgeous.

Are you going for one or two tonearms?

Me, almost done reading the Jazz Encylopedia, more Mono LP’s are in my future!

Personally, if they didn't begin making it, I would ask the maker to increase the 2 arm plinth just enough to fit a rectangular dust cover on/around the tonearms when in their rests, leaving some wood and the 4 curved corners outside of the cover.. 'on' the plinth keeps the dust cover smaller and lighter than covering the whole plinth.

In any case, I’m sure you will love it.

During the past weekend, I was finally able to add a SS Platter to a SP10 MkII.

The demo' was carried out in the home of the individual who has won over many converts to adopting the work undertaken on the SP10 MkII and their Bespoke design for a Tonearm.

The SP10 used has a bespoke design being used for the Platter Spindle Bearing and also has a electronics modification that has a improved control in comparison to the original design for the stability of speed.

Panzerholz is the TT's Plinth with a P'holz Sub Plinth.

Three individuals in the Room using equipment each are very familiar with in relation to TT>Tonearm>Phonostage>Speakers.

New Class D Power Amp's were in use, which I immediately picked up on had a impact on the Soundstage, there was the perception of a wider and deeper volume being filled.

The SS Platter (7Kg) with no damping was put into service after the first recess for Lunch.

A few repeat Tracks were agreed to be replayed and as I was in the hotspot, I was immediately to become aware of the difference the SS Platter has on the presentation.

With the changes detected, I gave up my seat to the System owner who worked their way through a few familiar Tracks.

The other attendee also had the hotspot for their choice of Tracks as well.

Interesting Outcome, I felt the Mid's and Highs were accentuated in a way that was not in coherence with the lower frequencies.

The system owner felt the lower frequencies were not only subdued, but also subtly smeared and lost the clean edge and fast decay usually present.

The other attendee felt the Mat should be tried out with a Valve Amplification as well, as the Bass might benefit.

The system owner has heard enough to convince them that a Damping will bring more to the party and give the Mat a better Interface on the TT.

Moral of the Story, Platters can't be assessed as a verbal exchange, the experience has to be had, especially in a environment where much info is already known about the systems performance without the additional ancillary.

As for exchanges of a Platter Spindle Bearing to a design using modern concepts and materials not used by the original manufacturer, such as a Thermoplastic with low coefficient of friction. I can say go for it, there is much improvement to be found.    

@tomic601 As I have made it known endlessly.

I travel, I meet, I experience, I comment only (to the best of my ability ) on experiences encountered only.

If I add anything beyond experience had (to the best of my ability),  it will be the interpretation of a description given from an individual 'known' and who I have a lot of trust in on the subject of Audio.

I do the basics of the Math Pretty well, and have access to all the Tools available to be used on the internet to make the math occasionally required easier. 

Math, what does it really mean to a Newbie, or in many cases to the individuals with a long term interest in audio ? Most are trusting in others and allow the Math to be another's concern. Is a audio enthusiast really lacking in understanding and not to be taken serious if they are not presenting the Math behind decisions made/to be made.

Does a 10 years old - 40 years old TT really perform to the measured spec offered at the time of new?

Does a Cart' with a usage life really perform to the measured Spec' from when it left the manufacturers ?

Does a Tonearm living in a typical environment for a period of time, function exactly as the design was intended to do so ?

All the so called Diehards, quoting all forms of Math don't actually know what they own.

I am sticking close to those who do know what they own, and on a simple description can request a chance to investigate something that may have changed, the only math required being the calculation of the round trip.  

Basic description of experiences had, and influences resulting from experiences had, are the type of info that I wholeheartedly sense is what appeals to the larger audio enthusiast group. It is these who I post for in a Thread. Certainly not the stagnated, who are very low in activity for their inquisitive ventures.

As said on many occasions, I gave up on the 'sole locked away in a room listener type', way too many years ago.

To consider this notion today is seen to have an only outcome that diminishes opportunity to encounter experiences and removes opportunity to attain, the very  important grounding in what is valuable and worthwhile maintaining and what is a 'se défausser'.

@pindac dear fellow.. you had me at “ break for lunch “…

Today is a good day to contemplate the math or not underlying audio ( and other decisions ) by considering the obvious ( at least to this dullard Economist ) findings of Daniel Kahneman ; Thinking Fast and Slow….

Best to all in music…..