Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

As a point of reference : Has anyone here ever heard a Garrard 301 in its original plinth ?  You know ---- the one that the designers of this marvelous TT chose as its companion plinth ?

Original Plinths for Idler Drives of which I owned a 401 original Plinth were built with basic cabinetry assembly practices and were creating a larger air Void.

The non rigidity of the Cabinet ( think Syli requirements) and the large Volume of air caused audible resonance when transferred to the Styli.

Plinths today are usually seen with tight tolerance rebates for the TT to bed into and the Plinth Structure is substantially rigid.

The magic really occurs when the materials for the structure are able to Damp/Dissipate energies produced very effectively, hence the Styli is working in a much improved environment.

It is all about the Styli sensitivities to received energies, keeping the energy passed from the Styli to become the electrical signal to undergo various stages of gain as unadulterated as can be achieved at the Source, which is the Styli.        

@pindac @mdalton @noromance

My Garrard 301 is finally free from the gremlins of air and floor born energy. The solution…20 years old Final Laboratory Daruma 3-II’s from my closet. They have managed to effectively float the turntable thus freeing the TT from any mechanical vibrations. They are very similar to Symposium Rollerblock Jr. I just need to be careful to not knock off my TT off the rack with my knees…LOL!

Atleast now I can focus on finding a more stable ‘isolation’ solution and not think about replacing the plinth.

@lalitk I have stated in an earlier Post:

" 3, Producing support structures under the TT can be undertaken at a variety of costs and even more permutations for Plinth Materials and Footers used as separators and then the TT’s Mounting Feet. Working with the various options of permutations is where the real magic occurs. To really get the benefits it is best when done as the last exercise of the three treatments.

There is not a ubiquitous methodology for this one, I have loaned out many materials to be used on other systems, as the Mount for the Source, the differing environments and methods used to support the Rack, as well as the Rack Type creates very different outcomes of how a material is assessed for its impact on the end sound. Perseverance wins through" .

@lalitk Now the keenness to resolve the mechanical interface has been addressed with vigour and experimentation the solution for one particular and unique environment has been discovered, which from my end brings the notion, your now on your Journey with the Pedal to the Metal.

I still remain firm on the notion, further tidying up of the end sound is able to be discovered, but do ’encourage’, a period of tome to allowed for, to enable thoroughly enjoying the music encounters now to be had for an extended period. It is now important to become very familiar with the attractions being presented during the music replays that are now available to be perceived by yourself.

Many Years Past, a selection of the UK Idler Drive users were Wed to Barry Diament’s guidance for Vibration control, especially the Roller Bearing Footers.

It looks like your footers are quite similar as a function.

It is also widely suggested in the UK that Townsend Isolation Platforms started out as a Product from using the Diament design for a inflated supported platform.

As the Diament suggestions for methods are very affordable and achievable, and in the case of this Thread been successful, the Link will be good to review.

https://barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

The idea of Perseverance wins through, is the real requirement to create the conditions that work as the perceived optimal set up.

I have been questioned on this, to the point the suggestion is not much more is to be achieved. I do not yield to the idea, there is a reason to stop, honing mechanical interfaces for the benefit of a Stylus to function at it optimised, is for myself when participated in, a real time enjoyment. .

@pindac 

Thanks for your post and the link to the article. It does makes sense. I’ve been determined to make things work and so glad that I’m finally able to enjoy my TT . The root of the problem is my suspended flooring. One of the poster already suggested addressing the flooring by installing Jack posts to firm up the flooring. That’s a long term solution, unfortunately not in the cards right now. I do realize the need to address this as some of the boards have loosened (normal a for 17 years old home) underneath the carpet. 

The lengths we go to, just to spin a bloody record…LOL!