Has anyone tried a linear power supply with a Weiss 204 or 205?

I recently purchased the 205 and am enjoying it.   Just curious if anyone has tried a linear power supply with it, and if so, what if any difference they heard...

Cheers

ddafoe

I really like the Meitner because I listen to a lot of classical music and prefer a mid-Hall perspective.  I don't like bright sound and don't need details front and center - though I want them to be there.

@paullb, that is a good way to describe the MA3.   I loved how smooth and easy to listen to it was while offering very good resolution.   Yes, it likely wasn't the most dynamic DAC I've owned.

The M3 I only kept for a short while and compared it more directly with an older SimAudio 380DSD, along with the RME ADI 2FS and Topping D90.   I thought the M3 had very good dynamics (compared to SimAudio and RME) and likely equal to the D90 in resolution.   It was not fatiguing like the D90 but was also leaner than the 380DSD.  I replaced it with a more expensive MojoAudio R2R DAC that equaled its dynamics, gave up some resolution, but was more mid-hall, rounded, natural, organic, etc.. sounding.

The MA3 took the MojoAudio and M3 strengths and blended them together.   I don't remember for sure, but I'm thinking the MA3 likely isn't as dynamic as the M3 or at least isn't more so.   Resolution I would estimate is about the same.

The Weiss with the LPS likely has about the same dynamics as the MA3, but I actually think is cleaner and has more resolution.   It is not fatiguing or forward like how I found the D90, it almost has a 'sweet' presentation.   It is on the leaner side though more like the M3 or RME.    My preference would be for the MA3 out of all of the DACs I've owned, but when you consider I have no need for the integrated volume control and streamer, the cost of the MA3 vs the ~$2K Weiss was just too great for me.   If you don't mind a slightly leaner presentation the Weiss is very easy to listen to while giving you an amazing look into the recording.   I actually find myself hearing more details in some of my favorite recording with the Weiss.  There are other recordings where I slightly miss the extra fullness/mass of the MA3, but overall I'm very happy with the tiny Weiss.

Hope this helps...

Just wanted to mention that Dan Wright from ModWright is designing a LPS for the 204. He is making just a few betas first and I am on the list. If others are interested, they may want to reach out as there might be a few left in the initial queue. First heard about it here in the forums.

@surround4life, yes 204/Plixir my current DAC, yes I feel the Plixir is an improvement in all ways, some subtle, but worthwhile

@cbrez how did you contact Daniel Wright? I will be getting the dac 204 in a week and curious about this power supply upgrade.                                                 @jw944ts is the plixir like way better than the stock SMPS? Where do you get the pkixir in the states and which one, 5v-9v?

For everyone else, is this really a big upgrade over the stock power brick? My first time with this much of a high end dac.Will any of these other LPS units be just as good or do they all sound good. Thanks

yes, Plixir was a nice improvement, not huge, but across the board....bought from Gramophone in Edmonton, Cananda...the resulting combination sounds amazing...caveat, I am not one to go around A/B testing, so I have not truly compared to others....just with and without the Plixir, and I would say it is a worthwhile additon