Mcintosh-Bad customer service?

I was preparing to buy a new pair Mcintosh MC501's from an authorized Mac dealer. I have been doing some research and found some incriminating threads on Audio Asylum about Mcintosh. One very lengthy thread was about a seller on E-bay who was forced to pull his ad by a Mcintosh lawyer. Another was about a frustrated buyer who couldn't get support in Russia. There are always isolated instances, but I am very concerned now. One of my main concerns is that Mcintosh will not honor any warranties after you sell it. That means if I later try to sell my amps on audiogon, the buyer gets no warranty! What are your thoughts! I am used to unbelievable service from Pass labs, and even Krell. I refuse to spend that kind of money to a company that treats me poorly after the sale. Should I be concerned?
noonan
Every company puts a "warranty reserve" into their pricing so they know their potential outstanding financial obligation, so if you sell before the end of the warranty period, Mac, or whoever, gets a freebie against their warranty reserve. They must love it.
It's probably hard to reasonably defend such a practice, but they get away with it.
Thank goodness for Bryston et al.
Wow, wow. i'm kinda shocked that anyone even thinks a warrenty should be transferable. yes, i love to buy used gear and get a warrenty to boot! but from a mfg's point of view, why should they have to cover all that damage that occurs from shipping? what are you guys thinking? buying used gear is usually a steal. you know the unit's rap, your getting a steap discount, your not buying new from the mfg. and now you want the mfg to cover what is mostly (mostly, not entirely) shipping inflicted damage (either immediate or the slow slide), give me a break. GO CRY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

as far as Mac is concerned: my smaller downstairs system is all MAC (MR85, MC352, CR16, MC7205) and yes, I have had two issues. Both issues were handled promptly, and without question from my authorized MAC dealer. No hows, or no whys, just straight back to MAC, and straight back to me. With huge apologies coming and going. One issue was an acknowledged firmware bug in the MR85, and the other was shipping damage inflicted upon the MC352.

I am completely satisfied with the quality and service from MAC.

I appreciate the ability to buy used gear, but I don't expect the mfg to jump in and help me. Warrenty transfers are designed to help dealers with tradeins, not with Augiogoner's buying used gear. The list of mfg's still willing to transfer warrenties is getting slimmer by the day, and I fully support that slide, as we abuse its original intent here on this site.

To slight a mfg for not tranfering a warrenty is just bad taste.
Let's make life real simple. If you don't like Mac's policy, buy another brand. Now some of my opinions. Buy the amp new for 8000, you get a warranty. Buy the same amp used for 4-5000, no warranty BUT you just saved thousands. Apply a couple hundred of that for a fix IF it might need one. Yeah it would be great if the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc owner was covered but they're not, and if that's a problem, BUY ANOTHER BRAND. Try to see the big picture. If their dealers don't sell their product, there won't be any McIntosh. I don't blame them a bit for setting it up this way, in fact I think it's pretty smart. They want to stay in business and every Mac owner wants them to. Fact is, they've been in business for 50+ yrs. That will help you resell it.
Who's taklking about shipping damage? Manufacturers won't cover damage from "misuse, abuse" etc. to anyone, even the original owner. The point we're discussing is transferability of warranty obviously without abuse from shipping, dropping, etc.
Automobiles have transferable warranties which are products that suffer more abuse in a day than an audio component will in a lifetime - temperature extremes, bad roads, crappy drivers, etc., plus they consist of thousands of components, sensors etc, but yup, if your within the warranty coverage you're covered, even if you bought it used.
Forget what warranties are supposed to do for dealers - the manufacturer already included the cost of warranty in the price you paid for the unit new, so short of damage inflicted by an owner, or UPS or FedEx, or any other caveat the manufacturer can come up with, there's no good reason why warranties should not be transferrable.
Just some minor clarifications, Mcintosh will force you to put their non transferable warranty policy on Ebay regardless of how it was purchased, including AUTHORIZED dealers. Their view is, they are protecting second hand buyers. Another view is, they are using previous Mcintosh owners to promote their new products. This is subject to interpretation. Failure to comply will result in your ad being deleted from Ebay and relisting will cause your account to be suspended. If you are comfortable with this practice, then you should no problems dealing with Mcintosh.