Mcintosh mc 252 or Odyssey Stratos Monos Extreme?

Greetings,
A little help from you guys. I want to upgrade my current system and I think my pre-power set is the weakest part of it: Audio Aero Prima (2005), pre Odyssey Tempest Extreme, power Odyssey Stratos Stereo (w/ cap upgrade), Anthony Gallo´s N.R. 3.1, VdHul Inspiration (speakers), Supra Sword (CD to pre), Fusion Audio Predator (Prima), PS Audio Perfect Wave AC10 to my brasilian conditioner (AC Organizer LC 311). I listen to jazz, classic, rock, lounge, (sometimes LOUD...), and I love a detailed and controled bass (what is lacking IMO in my room). I´m satisfied w/ the current warmth, detail, soundstage and musicality of my system (the Gallos creates a fantastic soundstage IMO). I know that there are systems 10 times better than mine and I´ve heard some of them, but unfortunately they will exist only in my dreams, as I cannot afford them... My concern now, is to have better dynamics and better bass. I have an acoustcally isolated room that measures 4.9 x 4 x 2.6 meters, and the system is set along the larger wall (and, yes, I´ve already moved the speakers a LOT to get the best bass possible).
I would LOVE to have a Mcintosh gear in my system, but the cost-effective ratio is crucial to me (remember my low budget...). I mean, if the diferences are subtle between both amps, I´ll stay w/ the Odysseys´monos since they are cheaper, but if you guys tell me the Mcintosh is in another level (as I suspect), I can make the effort to have it. One concern is the supposed "lack of bass" of the MC 252 that would be "lean" according to some reviews I´ve read about it. (Would he Odyssey´s Monos Extremes be better in this regard?). Another doubt is if the Tempest would be an acceptable match to MC252 or if I must buy another pre (in that case, it must be a Mcintosh?) to get a decent sound out of it.
Anyway, I´m planning a to make a trip to the USA and bring the new toy personally to Rio de Janeiro - Brazil were I live.
What do you guys think about it? Any tip or suggestion will be highly apreciated.
Thanks in advance, and forgive me for the HUGE post.
Rogerio
rogertmac

Showing 1 response by alpha3