New In 2024

Cite New Releases and Re-Issues on Atoms Mix, Blu-Ray Audio, CD, Download, EP, Hi-Rez, LP, SACD, Stream Formats.

jafant

Heifetz - Castelnuovo-Tedesco, The Lark / Faure, Sonata (Op.13) / Vitali, Chaconne

IMPEX Records IMP6052

Stunning recording just issued by IMPEX!

- Coming out February 28th is Joel Selvin’s book on the great drummer (VERY great) Jim Gordon. Norman Maslov posted an interview with Joel earlier today on YouTube; I’m about to watch it.

- On March 8th Norah Jones’ Visions is out.

- April 5th it will be the new one by Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams (their third). Larry was Dylan’s road bandleader/guitarist/harmony singer for quite a while. He then served the same role for Levon Helm, including all the shows in Levon’s barn. Teresa was also in the group of singers/musicians who were regulars in those shows.

I intended to make the trip to Woodstock to attend one, but never did. I did make it to Levon’s book signing appearance at Book Soup on Sunset Boulevard when his autobiography came out. So did Ringo Starr, who took cuts in line 😊 .

bdp24

Good to see you here in 2024. Yes! this is going to be a great read. Jim Gordon had quite a Resume'.

Happy Listening!

Upcoming on LP from Vinyl Me Please:

March: The Houston Kid by Rodney Crowell. Rodney's perfect album (imo a masterpiece) from 2001, first time on LP.

April: Church Street Blues by Tony Rice (Art Dudley's favorite flat pick acoustic guitarist. A musician's musician). A long-out-of-print collectible that sells for around a hundred bucks in Mint condition. $39 from VMP ($35 for members).

When I see the title of a thread, "new in 2024", I will only list actual new music.

No reissues, archival material, etc.

Too much great new music to keep up with, to spend time and money on endless reissues.

Mary Halvorson - Cloudward / brand new release by this very creative jazz guitarist. A little bit more contemplative than 2023’s Amerylis, but no less intriguing. Amarylis was my favorite jazz release of 2023, Cloudward has a quick start as my favorite of 2024.

Everything Oscillating — The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are / Instrumental prog/fusion trio from Seattle. Touches of math-rock, and 80’s King Crimson.

Semiramis - La Fine Non Esiste / So, to try to make a long story short, in the 70’s, Italy produced some prog as good as many of their Brit counterparts (Yes, Genesis, etc), but of course, singing in Italian held them back. But make no mistake, these bands were musically world class. Some of these bands, were only able to produce 1 album, then broke up. Semiramis was one such band. They were all in their teens in ’73 when they released their album, Dedicata A Frazz. Now, in 2024, after reforming for some live gigs, they recorded this album of new material. Don’t expect any surprises, just beautiful, energetic (retro) prog, played with great musicianship.

Luz de Riada - Rizoma / From Mexico, a bit of an avant-prog feel on this, with Mexican folk melodies, and a bit of ’80 King Crimson sneaking in.

Rob Mazurek Exploding Star Orchestra - Spectral Fiction /. pretty avant-garde jazz, but still kind of approachable.

New album from T Bone Burnett in April, his first of studio-recorded music in many years.

Peripherally related:

I’ve been interested in the Giles Martin Beatles 5.1 & Atmos remixes, but not so much in the rest of the reissue content (other than the stereo remixes issued on vinyl).

Unfortunately, unlike past projects (like Beatles ONE), Beatles, Inc. has chosen to make the Blu-ray multichannel mixes available only as part of the pricey top-of-the-line packages that include CDs, outtakes, books, and a lot of other stuff I have no interest in.  I just want Giles's Blu-ray multichannel mixes.

Does anybody know of any source for the Blu-ray discs by themselves -- or of any plans to release them commercially this year as standalone offerings?

Slated for release on May 3rd is---

Guy Clark:Truly Homemade Volume 1. Guy’s early acoustic song demos, compiled and produced by Rodney Crowell.

And now due out on April 5th---

Tony Rice: Church Street Blues (Craft Recordings).

Also on the 5th is the 3rd album from Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams.

Isn't it a great time to be alive? 😊

On June 7th Yep Rock Records is releasing an LP reissue of Super Group (Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner, and Terry Williams) Rockpile’s lone album, pressed from a new lacquer cut by Kevin Gray. The announcement makes no mention of the bonus 7" 45 RPM single (entitled Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds Sing The Everly Brothers) that was included with early pressings of the original 1980 Columbia Records release.

If you haven’t heard the album, and have a love of 1950’s Rock ’n’ Roll, 1960’s/70’s Power Pop, Hard Country, or Roots Rock in general, you need this album. Though Rockpile released just the one album (entitled Seconds Of Pleasure) under the band name, they appear on both Dave’s and Nick’s late-70’s/early-80’s solo albums. And on Carlene Carter’s (June Carter’s daughter, of course) fantastic Musical Shapes album. In 1980 Carlene was Nick Lowe’s woman (and he her man 😉 ), though she later was with Howie Epstein, Petty’s bassist. Both Carlene and Howie loved hard partying, in Howie’s case a little too much.

I don’t use the term Super Group lightly. I saw Rockpile live only once, but they are in the handful of best bands I’ve seen and heard live. For context, I saw The Beatles (in 1965, at The Cow Palace in S. San Francisco), and they aren’t included in that handful. Sorry Mazzy 😆 .

Copies of the original Rockpile LP aren’t too hard to find, or expensive. But the Yep Rock release has that new lacquer (Kevin Gray is a mastering expert, with an outstanding electronic mastering chain), and a new pressing (done at a new LP manufacturing plant in North Carolina). The Yep Rock release is limited to 1,000 copies worldwide, on yellow PVC (who cares about colored vinyl?), but as I already own Mint copies of both the USA and UK pressings (plus a spare sealed USA copy), I won’t be buying a copy.

But if you don’t already own a copy of Seconds of Pleasure, and don’t want to wait for a Mint copy of an original to come your way, do yourself a big favour and grab a copy of the Yep Rock LP. Warning: Hearing Seconds Of Pleasure may make many of the other bands you’ve heard now sound less good.