Non-Audiophile Audiophile question!

I need to know which speakers are the best to use when you position them behind you. In other words I'm not setting up any home-theater, but simply trying to figure out what kind of speakers are the best to go for such quest of setting up 2-ch stereo with rear speakers. It is my home-office situation which is awkwardly spaced and there are LOTS of monitors around me so I'm guessing I should look for near-field speakers. No issues with active speakers as well. 

Please recommend!

czarivey

In an office with a desk and a lot of reflective surfaces having the speakers behind you is a great way to listen. I have been doing that for a decade. See my Office system on Virtual Sytems page. What is posted is my old office.

I just sold my Magnepan LRS+, but that speaker works great in a small room since it has a more direct projection of the sound, less reflections.

My new space is smaller, so I bought the Magnepan Mini 2 days ago. It will be excellent in the space I have now.

If you have a room that is at least 12 x 11 x 9 then a lot of small speakers will work in that space behind, you. A KEF LS50 Meta is another great choice. I had that before the LRS+

In all of these setups I used the excellent KEF KC62 sub.

For my Magnepans I use a lot of power such as the Sanders Magtech amp.

In my old office I had 6 computer monitors. In my new space I have 10 monitors. Got great sound in the old and expect great sound with the Magnepan Mini's in the new space.

I would choose Magnepan speakers because all box speakers sound like boxes.

Magnepan:

Minis, (on stands)

LRS+

MC1 (on wall)

all box speakers sound like boxes.

Ohm Walsh speakers do not sound like boxes. The box is only there for the full bass that is not the forte of Magnepan typically.

I had Magnepans prior to my Ohm Walsh a number of years back.

I see some of you have mentioned headphones. One reason I am going to be ’slumming’ it with the Magnepan Mini’s is that the end game for me is to buy the RAAL 1995 Immanis headphones to use with my existing RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp. The Mini is for background and the Immanis are  for serious listening.

Some consider these the best phones ever made. I do not have the comparative background to make that claim but I have heard it with my headphone amp, and it was almost as good as my Livingroom 2-channel system.

I heard a $200K+ system at a dealer in the summer and all I kept thinking was that it was great but not as good as the Immanis.

Hearing chines and phone calls will not be an issue with phones, kind of the same thing with speakers.