Recommendations for a phono stage: Gold Note turntable w/ MC cartridge to ARi50.

I'm seeking some suggestions for a phono preamp to connect a Gold Note Giglio turntable w/ Donatello Red MC cartridge to an Audio Research i50 amplifier. ARC has a phono stage module for I think 750 -1000 but I don't listen to much vinyl and don't really want to spend that much. I'm looking to spend approx $500. Any thoughts on this from the members are greatly appreciated.

maholl50

All of the suggestions look good so far. If you like the Gold Note brand the PH-5 is selling for $750 on GoldnoteUSA.

@relayer101

OP: While the PH-5 is a great choice I’d be very careful buying from goldnoteusa.com (Rutherford Audio) the former GN distributor.

It is highly unlikely that anything you buy from them will be covered under warranty by GN and definitely not by Fidelity Imports, the current GN distributor, and ultimately the GN warranty administrator for the US.

I own the PH-10 with the PS-10 LPS. I had the Schitt Skoll in my system while I was working through a warranty issue alluded to above (although I did not by direct from Rutherford). Remarkable sound for $399.

Interesting information. I wasn’t aware that Rutherford on GNUSA was no longer handling warranty repairs but I would like to think the manufacturer being Gold Note would still honor a warranty on new product at their current repair center within any given country.

With that said I can’t speak to Gold Note’s policy.

If you don't play a lot of vinyl, it’s hard to beat the Schitt Audio Skoll for $399. Heck, even their Mani punches way above the price of $149. I have both of them in budget systems in 2 of my household systems (one hooked up to a Fluance RT85 and another with a Dual CS 5000). They perform very well for their purpose.

In another system I have a Sutherland KC Vibe that I bought Open Box from a dealer for $600 -- I love it. There are several KC Vibe’s available online, new and used, between $500 and $900.