Sending a 110 lb amp to the manufacturer for cleaning/calibration. Good idea? How to ship?

Hi All,

So I reached out to Simaudio as my amp (Simaudio Moon Titan HT200 5 channel) is getting a bit long in the tooth. It performs truly flawlessly and is just beautiful and barely even gets warm after running all day long. I was just more curious than anything about lifespan, etc. Simaudio replied right away. They said all the units they'd manufactured since 2001 are still "active". However they did recommend sending it to them (if I could be without it for a few weeks) for "cleaning and calibration".  

Couple of things, I can't even go 1 day without this unit. But beyond that just the thought of packing this thing up and shipping literally makes me cringe. I'd certainly pay extra if there was some way to avoid UPS/FedEx or any other means like that. Any recommendations and have any of you ever done something like this?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks all in advance...
kingbr
WOW! First I want to thank all of you for taking the time to offer great advice on both ends of the spectrum. Great arguments both for and against, what to do????

I feel like getting total peace (Piece for all us Maidenheads :) of mind of having the high end pros at Sim do their thing and get the green light and gain the confidence knowing she's got a clean bill of health...

However I keep coming back to "if it ain't broke", and the disconnecting, lifting (and I have decided if I do have this done I am doing the road trip thing, as yes @jl35 I completely trust Sim, I would love to keep forever, and I do enjoy driving), going without really just so does not at all appeal to me...And thank you @philiptamarkin for the White Glove info offer. And thanks @gochurchgo for the offer to assist but I'm on the other side of the country in NH...

I will follow up when I make the decision (still waiting to hear back from Sim on the address and if I can drop it off in person)...

Regardless you all have provided great info and some good laughs and I can't thank you All enough for taking the time to help. I feel like this thread represents the best of what this site is all about, at least for me anyway! Good stuff! You guys are awesome man!
Lots of great advice so far; but, here's some first hand experience to consider...

Many years ago my house took a direct hit by lightning and it fried many things, including my Sim Audio amp. I took it to a local Sim Audio dealer who then sent it back to them (in the original box). When it came back it sounded significantly better than before the lightning strike; so, make of that what you will.
Assuming that you can't deliver it yourself (or even better, get someone locally), you really need to get a manufacturer-approved packing box/container, because (as someone who has had an amp trashed twice by UPS), you need to pack it EXTREMELY well, pay for the insurance and take pictures of your unit and your packing process all along the way, because the shipping companies will not reimburse you if you use an unapproved shipping container.  I sent a McIntosh solid state amp across the country - it weighed 104 pounds total (the box weighed about 30 pounds all by itself) and it was in an official McIntosh box and it still got damaged - account for the box being dropped from three feet up on the side/corner without damaging the unit.  Don't mess with bubble wrap - it offers little protection for something this heavy.  Use thick foam and fill any spaces in the container so if it breaks loose inside the box(es) it can't roll around.  It can be done, but don't assume that anyone is going to be using kid gloves on your unit.
No shipping here.

If possible, talk to them at t he factory, or the official USA service center , ask how long for the work to be done. 
  If not too long what is the best time to have the amp there for service/upgrades, etc etc. make a plan, and drive them there, get a vacation out of it if possible with the family.   Pick up after a week, or 2 weeks, if you have the time from work. 
   We know it’s not far, we drove my amp to Rockford, about 4 hours from us, stayed 4 days in a hotel, visited some things to see, wife did some shopping, etc. 
called us, drove 20 min, picked up, drove home that evening.      Amp safe and sound. 
  What gets us (me) nervous is the drive to the west coast if and when one of my monoblocs starts to act up, the drive to California to have both of them upgraded is not on my idea of fun drive, but we can visit my cousins on the way home, and will be a good story. 
    Will not ship anything except my preamp (lifetime warranty)

had 2 receivers, 2 CD players, and 4 pairs of speakers arrive damaged, was really upset at the speakers, but we’ve learned our lesson, and will take a road trip if and when needed. 
  Are we a bit anal about this, could they be totally safe to and from shipping,..? Sure!
  Not taking the chance with my monoblocks in main system. 

The Odyssey monoblocs are not too bad, only a 3+ hour drive to Indianapolis to the factory. 
    The price, and time it has taken me to save for what I have now will not be compromised. Will not take the chance of shipping damage, as try getting anything from fedex, ups, usps, 3rd party shipper, better off squeezing coal and waiting For a diamond to form. 
@kingbr:   I have no advice for you — wouldn’t know what is best — but that amp is the true definition of “beast”!   Good luck with whatever you decide.  If you choose to get it “refreshed”, I bet it will sound good!