Stylus Profile Discussion

I've been reading a bit lately about different stylus profiles--trying to get a handle on the different shapes, pros and cons, etc. Here is a question I've been pondering: Which stylus shape represents the "sweet spot" between ease of set up and sonic performance? In other words, at what point does the demand for fully optimized alignment (and the difficulty and tedious time commitment involved in obtaining this and the neurotic tendency to fear that you may not have) become such a detriment that you would be better off with a less challenging profile that would be easier to set up correctly?
dodgealum
glennewdick
I will have to disagree with you about the 20degree rake angle for VTA that’s far too much IMO the cutter was at 3degrees ...
You seem to be confusing SRA (which should be about 92 degrees, or so) and VTA (which should be about 20 degrees, or so.)

And you are simply mistaken that a cutter head would be set at 3 degrees.

Why did Shure call its famous cartridge series the "V-15?"

"V" = Vertical Tracking Angle."15" = Nominal tracking angle, in degrees.
What about ''indirect conclusion''? Our most productive member
from Australia ( I mean productive in our forum) just demonstrated
or suggested that Sony XL 88D is ''the best '' there is. The shape
of its stylus is super elliptical. But this may also mean that stylus
shape is not as important as, say, chakster thinks. 
put a micro-line/micro-ridge on the xl88 cantilever... and then things might be different.

A cartridge is a complex system, and comparisons are difficult.

Only single cause analysis can bring any of it out to a point that we can begin to properly ponder.

Thus change the one thing - the stylus profile. And see what happens.
Cleeds, yes in many circles you are correct but it does depend on how you look at the angles. At any rate 92 degrees for most profiles is to close to dead vertical 70 to 75 degrees is more like it. Or 15 to 20 degrees if you look at it the way my old brain does, degrees off vertical. I'm not sure where this 92 degree thing came from perhaps they are measuring to the oncoming facet of the stylus. I'm measuring from the long axis through the tip of the stylus which I think is easier to eyeball when you set the tonearm up. If you put this axis at 92 degrees you'll almost be dragging the tonearm on the edge of the record. But I will have to review the subject to see what modern convention is.
But this may also mean that stylus
shape is not as important as, say, chakster thinks.

From what i've learned the stylus shape is very important for those you listen to vintage vinyl (aka used original vinyl, not a modern reissues or new releases). The majority of the records from the 60's and 70's have been played with conventional styli for decades by previous users (not audiophiles) on average turntables, cartridges. Most likely it was a conical stylus not in the best condition. The groove walls of the records can be slightly worn by the conical when we're buying used old records. But the conical stylus can't go deep in the grooves as Shibata, Stereohedron, MicroRidge, MicroLine, F.Gyger, VdH or Replicant-100. Using high-end profiles like that can dramatically improve the sound as the diamond rides in the groove precisely and in case with vintage used records it rides in previously untouched part of the groove walls! Basically my passion is vinyl from the 70's era, playin' such vinyl with conical or elliptical tip is the worst scenario.