Swap out b&w 802 d3 for Sonus faber amati g5?

Currently powering an 802 d3 speakers with mcintosh MC 901s and was thinking about getting sonus faber amati g5 speakers. Would this be worthwhile to do? Or is there a better path to follow?

emergingsoul

Likely to be a huge jump in the direction you want to go. Amati are natural and musical unlike the B&W which are hot on top with accentuated bass. I have Amati… my third set of Sonus Faber speakers and B&W for my home theater. What you are indicating you want is exactly the character of Sonus Faber. I paired mine with all Audio Research gear.

The Amatis would seem to be an excellent choice depending on how they work with your upstream electronics of course.  Some others worth considering would be Joseph Audio, ProAc, Rockport, Wilson, Vandersteen, QLN, and maybe Usher although I’ve not heard their current models with the diamond tweeter.  At this level it’s very much personal taste and system matching, but hope this is somewhat useful. 

I am a massive fan of Sonus Faber speakers and have owned a bunch over the years. You may want to consider one of the many pairs of Wilson Sasha DAW’s coming into the used market. For around the same price as the new G5’s, it’s a direction even this die hard SF fan might try….

good luck…!

The Amati's are easier to drive than the 802s and much more natural sounding with excellent sound-staging and scale. A used pair of Sasha DAWs is an interesting alternative, but they are more difficult to set up and less tolerant of less well engineered recordings.

I have experience with both brands in this price category. I would recommend a demo of Wilson Audio in your price range (lots of used one out there too).  Both wilson and Sonus Faber will be more neutral than B&W. The Wilson are almost always more dynamic in the bass (harder hitting leading edge) than Sonus Faber and everything else is pretty comparable between them.