Thank You Fumihiko Sugano and Koetsu

Reports are slowly circulating (WBF, FB Groups) that Fumihiko Sugano passed this August 21. He was the son of Koetsu founder Yoshiaki Sugano, and his chosen heir as the next Koetsu master cartridge builder - which he did brilliantly. Personally, I am grateful to the Sugano family for all the joy their products have brought me via my music collection. The Koetsu midrange magic is still unmatched by anything I've ever heard. 

Business continuity is unclear at this time. I don't know any real details - just surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. Hopefully this isn't another Transfiguration scenario. Either way, I'll carefully preserve and enjoy my Fumihiko Koetsu treasures for the full extent of our lifetimes. 

Thank you again Fumihiko! Godspeed.

128x128mulveling

Wow!  That is not what my dealer heard.  He said he continues to order cartridges and has no problem, so far, with supply.  It could be sales from stock, in which case he should bite the bullet and order more.  There are not that many comparable sounding cartridges. 

@larryi

I just spoke to a dealer, it’s official. Koetsu is no longer being made. Whatever current stock dealer / distributor on hand, is all up for grabs. Once it’s gone, you’re left with re-tipped or used carts from previous owners.

It is looking like a equivalent to Bit Coin is now being mined.

The hoarders will hoard, the fakers will fake and the ascention in costs for the 'not haves’, to buy real or fake is only a few good sales pitches away.

i don't know what sounds like the Koetsu--perhaps an SPU Ortofon or an Allaerts.  The Allaerts that I liked was crazy expensive, even by Koetsu standards and it was extremely delicate and fussy (the distributor insisted on a very precise loading value that was not a common value).  

What I found, in the platinum stones, was a richness and "filled in" quality to the bass, aside from what has been called a "technicolor" midrange. I don't find that in my system, which tends to be lean. It looked like the "writing was on the wall" with mulveling 's original post. I have two stones and will use them, face the question of replacing the diamond and getting them refurbished when I have to. 

End of an era. I know there are other flavors but these meshed beautifully with my system and gave it a verisimilitude it lacked.