Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Phil,

Insensitive as in "not as critical" or insensitive as in irrelevant?

I'd like to lock the spikes in place with the nuts but would have to raise the height for that.

Also I feel like presentation has been different higher vs. lower, though in fairness I didn't have it perfectly balanced when they were higher. I broke out the bubble level when I was working for the jewel case height.qqq
>>What is the appropriate height for the Superflys?<<

Hard to say what's going on without knowing more about your overall situation. Soul is intended to be fairly insensitive to floor gap; generally no user adjustment needed. In setting up a Soul Superfly system in the buyer's carpeted room, I found height adjustment proved both unnecessary and not meaningful, short of killing sound by taking out the spikes and placing the speakers directly on the carpet.

Phil
>>Insensitive as in "not as critical" or insensitive as in irrelevant?<<

Meaning not critical, verging on not relevant. Large differences can have some effect but the design doesn't intend requirement for futzing with floor gap height. The Griewe scheme is now primarily internal via the cartridge and the finger vents on the bottom. You can find *some point* in the gap range where approaching no floor gap is not good but short of heading hard for zero, it should not be a critical factor. You need 1/4" gap or more. You'll notice in Zu's own photographs of the speakers, the spikes are quite tall.

>>Also I feel like presentation has been different higher vs. lower, though in fairness I didn't have it perfectly balanced when they were higher. I broke out the bubble level when I was working for the jewel case height.<<

Depending on many other acoustic factors you might be sensitive to differences in presentation associated with small changes in driver height. Or, as I said, if you head for zero on the floor gap less than 1/4", things will change. You may notice diffrences without having a clear idea which is actually better from a fidelity standpoint. No one can tell you what you're hearing isn't heard, but from a physics standpoint, Soul's design removes the floor gap from performance influence from 1/4" and taller.

Phil
gopher......The soul upgrade drivers will cost $400 after $200 back when I return my mk408 frd

the Duelund 10ohm resistors $40

as I live in Australia the the shipping cost is $1k and the upgrade to soul after selling Druids wld be another $1k..... I think I'll get 98% of what I want in the sound with the Frd upgrade. I acoustic damped the Druids boxes, upgraded hi pass for next to nothing ($200). As I mentioned before I have mini methods to help with bass...... Without which Druids would be lifeless in my room.

Worth a try anyway I think.....
Gopher,

Yes, the WC is a copy of the concept - probably Vinnie deserves the credit for that (almost certainly). It is an amp that gives a large portion of the same performance at around 15% of the price. For some, that is very appealing.