Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Gopher,

Yes, the WC is a copy of the concept - probably Vinnie deserves the credit for that (almost certainly). It is an amp that gives a large portion of the same performance at around 15% of the price. For some, that is very appealing.
I found Zu varial and especially the Ash digital Ic to really open up the HF, compared to cardas and stereovox. I think as my pre and power amps are tubed maybe it was dark before?

For me it had more effect than changing amps?
Gopher: Phil does not believe that room impacts sound, especially in bass.

Therefore, he says that what you put your Souls on does not matter. It is "floor height insensitive' because it say so on the box.

In reality, put different speaker on carpet, wood, stone, you hear difference in bass.

Also, height of speaker can have impact on what you hear because super tweeter is very directional, and that impact tonal balance.

This is not about controlling gap height (which happen in druid) but about placement and room interaction effecting tone.
Naggot: Can you tell us more about your room setup? How directional have you set Druid FRD?

I am very curious about how new Soul FRD work for someone who, for room reasons, has used Druid FRD very directional.
>>Phil does not believe that room impacts sound, especially in bass.<<

Uh...I haven't written or said this, ever. I said some people may not care enough to do anything about it, yet still find $2000 - $3000 speakers worthwhile.

>>he says that what you put your Souls on does not matter.<<

Nope, didn't say that, either. I said I don't recommend placing speakers on an MDF slab on top of carpet, and explained why.

>>It is "floor height insensitive' because it say so on the box.<

What I said is that Soul is gap height insensitive by design. And it is, above 1/4". At 1/4" or less, it isn't.

>>In reality, put different speaker on carpet, wood, stone, you hear difference in bass.<<

That's a different issue than the question raised, which was a query about the right gap height. But placing any speaker on different surfaces and hearing a bass difference is more a matter of anchorage, speaker-to-floor interface chosen, than specific material. You can manage different material interfaces to the same end.

>>Also, height of speaker can have impact on what you hear because super tweeter is very directional, and that impact tonal balance.<<

Which I stated, in different terms.

>>This is not about controlling gap height (which happen in druid) but about placement and room interaction effecting tone.<<

It is about controlling gap height if that's the variable by which he's hearing differences. As I also said, there are many other factors, room properties being merely a subset of influences. A given user may or may not care to mitigate them.

Phil