Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Mike,

I wanted to hold up on commenting much at first for a few reasons.

Firstly, the drivers were no burned in (and probably still have a couple weeks to go).

Secondly, I did not have appropriate spikes and was using the floor footers on carpet which was difficult because my plinth gap was uneven as a result--practically sitting on carpet in middle with gap around edges. I used my Abby spikes awkwardly for a couple of days until my Cains sold, but the screw was too small for the hole and they were very anything but appropriately planted.

Thirdly, I've been beta testing a new line of cables which repeatedly introduced a very positive improvement in sound. Now that these things aren't issues (drivers/cables settled and appropriate spikes on) I feel more comfortable commenting in depth.

It still surprises me how much more extension I've got on top and bottom while retaining the FRD coherence. I almost took the plunge months ago to try the Druids (before soul superfly was announced) but the guys on audioasylum almost unanimously advised against it, so I'd put that on hold.

I am happy I decided to be an early adopter on these and don't miss anything about the Abbys sound--only their looks.

I truly believe these speakers will be good enough to see the benefits of all upgrades elsewhere in my system. That is very cool for me.
Thanks Gopher,

I'm always amazed how many people post about new kit and are critical of it, only to mention in passing that they're running something else in too. Nice to see some caution followed by detailed description.

Once I have my Superfly I'm going to burn them in and experiment with position. Then I intend to post extensively on the outcome. However, i'm hoping to be so otherwise occupied that I can't get out of my chair ;) I'll try my best though.

Mike
Anyone else get their Superflys yet? I'm surprised there has been next to no feedback from anyone else.

I spent a good deal of time listening over the holiday weekend and the more time I put on my pair the more I appreciate them.

The ONLY thing I want a touch more of is texture and image density with my F1, which I may try to achieve by means of a tube amp, but I don't want to upset the amazing PRaT I'm getting now.

Either way my listening is a lot more fun and less analytical these days and I could easily live with what I'm experiencing.
Gopher:

Check "Watt's New" at www.firstwatt.com: select F1J

Nelson Pass is upgrading the F1 to the new Jfets used in the J2: free for original owners (you pay only frieght + cost of shipping box), small charge for 2nd owners, etc.

Might be your answer for more texture and image density.

If interested, contact nelson@passlabs.com to get on the upgrade list; include the serial # of your F1.

(I'm going to try the Soul with either a F1J or the J2 later this year. If you upgrade the F1, I would appreciate your comments on the combo.)
The First Watt M2 may be a better match for Soul.

I've compared the F1, J2, and M2 on 98dB 6 ohm Audio Note speakers; the M2 is more tube like and has "drive" that the F1 lacks. Even at 10WPC, Soul is underpowered using F1.

IMO
YMMV

Dealer disclaimer.