Adding tube sound to my SS system

I have a question for the hive mind. I had the opportunity try a PS Audio BHK tube preamp in my system the other day (in between my LUMIN T2 and Luxman 509x bypassing the luxman preamp) and the vocals / midrange made my heart flutter and chills run up my spine. I heard life detail and nuance in the vocals that I didn’t with the Luxman preamp and sounded like the singer was in the room. But, it was lacking in soundstage, bass and so so recordings didn’t shine. The Luxman preamp made everything sound smoother and liquid but at the expense of some life in the midrange. I ultimately liked the sound without the BHK preamp better, But, that tube sound is intriguing and I’m looking for a way to add it into my system.

system is LUMIN T2->Luxman l509x->spendor D9.2

I keep the Luxman loudness on all the time. Maybe that says I like a fuller sound. i stream 99% of the time through Roon or airplay (tidal and my wife uses Spotify). The modern convenience of controlling volume from the phone is essential (this the LUMIN). Home theater runs through the HT bypass on the luxman. All kinds of music jazz, folk, rock, hip hop etc. simplicity has value over going fully separates. I’ve been trying to research streaming dacs that have a tube or streaming tube preamps but not really having any luck finding anything that fits the bill. Looking to upgrade the LUMIN as I love the aesthetic of the Luxman so it would be hard to part with but I’d do it if needed. Wondering if streamer to tube preamp to power amp is the only way to make it work. Budget is not too much more than my current gear and willing to buy used.

128x128trentgordon

I agree with @soix and others about maybe changing up the DAC.  I know this is a different direction than going down the tube path but a ladder DAC (R2R) might get you moving towards the sound you're looking for.  There are lots of options that would pair with the level of equipment you are running.  I would research which of the R2R DACs have the warmest presentation since that's what you're chasing.  Good luck and cheers.

I was going to suggest a Foz SSX but @dtorc beat me to it. This little gizmo definitely has an effect on the sound. I use one in my desktop system and the stereo width and bass features are very nice. I've hooked it up into my main system (Krell/Thiel) and I decided that I preferred the sound without it.

The other thing I've tried is the Yaqin SD-CD3 tube buffer. I have this in the tape loop of my main system which is a great way to compare the sound with it and without it. It makes a very subtle difference in my system but YMMV.

Both of these units are relatively inexpensive and can be a low cost way to test the effect of tubes in your electronics chain.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts!  Seems like changing the DAC or trying the Modwright tube buffer are great options without starting from scratch. On the search now for a tube or r2r dac that allows me to control volume from within Roon but not having much luck.  Might be asking too much here...  

I know the Rockna Waelight is going to have a bluetooth based volume control you can run off your phone.  I am not sure if it integrates within Roon but it may.  I am one of the Rockna dealers in the US.  I have wavedreams open right now but not the wavelight.  

Love or Hate the following proposal, there is substantiation to the post now I have recently been demo'd DHT Pre's in a system that is very familiar to myself.

In another Thread I stated: 

"I put a few friends onto the Douk E6, and one of the models purchased, is after a period of trial, now is seriously considering to be a replacement for the owners  Django TVC. This was unexpected, as I thought of the E6 as a very affordable methods for dipping of ones toes into a DHT type Pre Amp.

The E6 was only presented to the group of friends, as another friend in the group, who is a very competent EE, has investigated and invested quite a few £000's in another UK based EE's DHT Pre Amp Design, that was getting good appraisals during the  Honeymoon Period of its use". 

Since this Post I have been demo'd DHT Pre Amp's and am left jaw droppingly amazed from what can be attained.

To give another avenue of thought about the Douk E6 one owner of the E6 and the owner of the system I received demo's of DHT Pre Amp's. In the past was selecting Pre Amp's to use with their Source being a SP10R > Glanz 1200S > Miyajima Cart' and  EAR Power Amplification.

A Relevant Model EAR Pre Amp' was used in  line up of a selection of Pre-Amps, of which the selection were ranging in value to quite a few £0000's in Total.

The Pre Amp' that was selected, is now used in conjunction with the Douk E6 'that has received the few recommended modifications that have been discovered to transform it and elevate the presentation'. The systems owner is totally satisfied with how the E6 influences to end sound of certain genre of music replayed on their system.

This is a very very cost effective way to create a experience being investigated.