Audiophilism is a hobby

This post grew out of another discussion on music vs. sound. According to a poll taken in that discussion, it is clear most A’goners claim they listen to their rigs primarily for the music. Although I don’t doubt the truth of that, I maintain that much of the listening is as a hobby, with music being a very important component. I’m not saying we can’t be profoundly moved by the music but rather that a lot of our enjoyment comes from the sheer sound emitted from our speakers. Great music is of course a vital part of the experience, but with all the manipulations we do with our systems, we  are fascinated by the idea of sound in itself as a hobby.

128x128rvpiano

I have never met anyone who listens like that nor have I read posts by those poor people. If you can provide links to posts by all the Audiophile Billies around here I’ll be happy to read them and maybe learn something. I guess I just don’t read those threads.

Look for half of the people who upgrade in a race they call their hobby with no acoustics experience about what is transient or what is really  a timbre acoustic parameters...

I was one unsatisfied and i did not know what to do at all nor where to begin....

Before i studied and experimented with acoustics after my retirement because i had time and the dedicated room to use...

Billy cannot know he is ignorant acoustically he felt it as unsatisfaction and cannnot do anything save buying to solve his uncomfort... To solve a problem you must be able to pose it conceptually no ?

My best from one past Billy .... Now mahgister ... 😉

I feel sorry for all the Audiophile Billies around here and I think you have problems elsewhere in your lives that make it impossible for you to enjoy music.  I don't want to get into your lives any further, but as far as audio goes, just relax and enjoy.  Be happy with what you have. 

But, if you come across a component that would improve the sound quality of your system and you can afford it, buy it and go back to enjoying your music.  Buying better quality audio gear Should not cause you anxiety and it need not be expensive.  There is so much good gear around at great prices that there's no reason that pursuing good sound should conflict with enjoying music.  

Best wishes on your audio journeys.  That's all I have to say.

From what I can tell an Audiophile Billy is anyone who does things differently than the way I do. If my system is inexpensive and my records scratched, it's the guy with Wilson speakers, McIntosh amps and UHQR records. For some it's the authors of angst ridden threads about which cable should I buy to solve my latest problem. Many Billies just post threads asking/hoping for people to agree that whatever they're  doing is the right thing. If you believe you're  not an Audiophile  Billy as defined here you're probably not reading this nor responding. You're sitting in comfy chair listening to some music, not worrying about what any of the folks here think.

I must admit, I now believe not all audiophiles are Audiophile Billies. However, unfortunately, I think. that a good many A’goners fall into this category. Otherwise there wouldn’t be so much handwringing over equipment that goes on.
It’s very sad that we (I often include myself in that category) can’t enjoy the magnificence of music and see the forest for the trees.