Best sounding turntable and cartridge for $1100

I have seen a lot of turntable and cartridges packages in  $1000- $1100, such as the Project RPM3 with the Sumiko BP-2 MC.   Project Xperience 1 with a Sumiko Pearl MM;  Rega Planar 3 with a Elys II cartridge. 

I have formerly owned a Rega 3-24 with Elys II  and a Project Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red (which I did not like at all) . Would like to try something different, but can live with the above brands depending on their overall performance 

Need recommendations for turntable/cartridge new or used combo that punches far above its price of  $1100.  Thank you

sunnyjim
sunnyjim,

This is off topic, but I noticed you do a lot of research on gear before making a purchase. Also, in another thread of your's, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that you should find some old copies of The Audio Perfectionist Journal because they talk about your Ayre CD player. Its not in print anymore because the person who published it died a couple of years ago. As it turns out, Vandersteen got permission to make the journal available to anyone who wants it. He lists all the issues for free on his website. Aside from reviewing your Ayre, APJ in my opinion, is the best resource for high end audio I've ever seen. By far. You definately want to check it out.

http://vandersteen.com//audio-perfectionist-journal

@sunnyjim Yes, I agree about not preferring speed/pitch adjustments, and disabling that is one of the common mods. The motor is very robust and one of the strengths of the 1200. Remember this wasn't built for the DJ market, it was designed as a mid-to-highend table and was adopted by DJs etc. because it was so reliable, speed-stable and durably built. These are all good reasons for the modder/tweaker community to embrace it over most others. Only doing a total plinth replacement and more on a SP10, Garrard 301/401 or Lenco 75 is a likely better option for going from something that can evolve into a great table from modest beginnings. The 1200 is the only of these that fits many budgets and that's why there's such a community of shared experience to make it feasible on the cheap. Okay, I'm done ;-) Cheers,
Spencer
A really good TT in your price range that many people seem to overlook, is the Sota Moonbeam. Sells for about $800 with an arm. Use the rest for a cart. 

Sota offers 2 things that I like very much. First is upgrades. They're upgrade selection is probably the best in the industry. Second is trade in policy. They allow you to trade in your TT on a better model, for life. I don't think any other manufacturer has a policy like that.

If you don't have a local dealer, Cable Company sells them. They may even have a demo unit to send you. 
Back to my previous query, I’m still thinking about that Pro-Ject "The Classic" table as I can change the cart to something I like (for example, Needle Doc gives you 50 bucks off if you want to bag the Silver thing), it has a lid (unlike the Pro-Ject RM tables), it has BALLS (it does…6 of ’em I think), and it seems cheap-ish for what it is. More reviews are in order to help me decide so GET GOING AUDIO COMMUNITY…my Linn Basik won’t last forever.
" Back to my previous query, I’m still thinking about that Pro-Ject "The Classic" table as I can change the cart to something I like (for example, Needle Doc gives you 50 bucks off if you want to bag the Silver thing), it has a lid (unlike the Pro-Ject RM tables), it has BALLS (it does…6 of ’em I think), and it seems cheap-ish for what it is. More reviews are in order to help me decide so GET GOING AUDIO COMMUNITY…my Linn Basik won’t last forever."

I wish I had 6 balls. Its just not fair.

Anyway, It wouldn't be a bad idea to give Cable Company a call. They have a really good selection of vinyl products. See if they can send you some demo's under their loaner program.  
To mb1audio02,   Thank you for the heads up about the audio publication via Vandersteen's website.

I have checked out the Sota Moonbean table . I  think they are working on III version. at $850 The table comes with a OEM Rega 202 (?)  tonearm  and they will set buyers up with a cartridge, like Ortofon 2M Blue, etc ,etc

However, there are two problems if you buy direct from them, they don't discount or very little   And their dealers are scared to discount  

Next,  their upgrade policy is not an important benefit for me. I am too old to take advantage of it.  Even though a dustcover is not a priroity,  Sota does not offer one.  The table may be ranked high, but it looks cheaply made, and I am not sure it offers good value.  However, thank you for the recommendation.  .    
When SOTA puts a Rega arm on their tables do they make it VTA adjustable? I assume not as I've looked at their site…but still wonder as the lack of VTA keeps me from Rega, and shims seem lame.
 To wolf-garcia   I doubt if any Rega  tonearms  in 200 and 300 series have adjustable VTA.   I owned a Rega P3-24 and did not see a VTA adjustment on the tonearm, or a height adjustment feature

Has any one owned a Marantz 15S1 turntable with the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge. The cartridge is now $950 at retail.  Seems like a lot of cartridge for this level of table which was made by Clearaudio for Marantz   

The "last" retail of the combo was  $1599 before it was discontinued.  Music Direct had a  few "factory refurbed" ones on sale $1000 on Black Friday.

Does anyone know how it might compare to some of the other tables mentioned in this thread??   Thanks, SJ

Of  all the options you have mentioned I believe this is the best  one if you can  stilll get the package for $1000, not so sure for  $1599! As I stated in a previous post, my Virtuoso retip was $150  3 or 4 years ago and $250  for the 2nd retip earlier this year I do hope you inform us when you've made your purchase.
Vpi vpi traveler with ortofon 2m blue for $1135 from soundstage direct. New love affair with old vinyl. 

In my opinion, you're better off allocating as much as your comfortable with towards the cartridge. I believe you estimated 20% listening would be vinyl. With clean, undamaged lp's, retipping should be many years down the road. I have the version 1 Virtuoso on my Aries Scout, and the sound quality is fantastic. Like you, I have a low tolerance for brightness in a system. Have you considered the Pioneer PLX-1000? While I haven't heard it, there seems to be pretty decent feedback online. While not in vogue these days, a Grado Platinum or Sonata (I've owned both), might be worth considering. 

I was surprised to see an ad for Audioengine line of "turntable". They look nice, and the pricing is reasonable, but the models "Orbit Plus" and "Orbit Special" are pre-packed with "the same old same old":  Ortofon OM5e on the Plus and the universal 2M RED on the Orbit Special 

Neither cartridge sends me into "orbit"   Does anyone own or  auditioned one of these "bad boys" ??    Thanks,  SJ 

Thanks to all who have responded and provided many good TT options.

However, I ran across and ad for  "U-Turn Audio turntables" on a Stereophile newsletter. I have never heard of this company, but their website is impressive and offers a slide show of the manufacturing process of their tables  located in Woburn, Massachusetts.

They offer a few models and  a "custom option" where the buyer can pick and choose features.  I priced out  their "Orbit Plus" table  with  Red plinth, acrylic platter, cueing lift, and a Grado Black cartridge (comes with dustcover and phono cables) The total price was $349.00; and $369.00 with the Ortofon 2M RED.. 

No matter I could replace either at some point with something much better.  The pricing seems very reasonable.  Has anyone auditioned or  owned one of these tables. If so, would you know how the U-Turn table might compare to the Music Hall 5.1 table with their own Magic 3 cartridges.??  There are several on sale on AG, and also by some internet vendors, like Music Direct, and Soundstage Direct  

Thanks, SJ    

I have a friend who loves his "U -Turn" although I haven't heard one myself. They're inexpensive and they're made in my current home state of MA (!). If they made them in China they would be free.
sunnyjim sez:
I am not sure I want to go the modded TT route. It will or could be expensive, and do I really want a table that has dance club speed and pitch controller.

Technics should build the same table without the speed and pitch control, and put the dollars into a better tonearm or drive motor.. The TT would be less expensive, and could still compete with tables in its price range, it not higher. Thanks again
I’m really getting tired of this myth. The Technics SL12x0 series WAS NOT designed as a dance club turntable. It was designed as a high end broadcast and home machine, and later *adopted* by the dance club set for its drive, ruggedness, and yes, speed and pitch matching.

But there are home use applications for the speed control too. Not every album was cut at an exact 33-1/3 rpm. A famous example is side one of Miles Davis’ "Kind of Blue."

In the Comments section of Michael Fremer’s review of the new Technics SL1200 GAE, when a detractor stated that the speed adjustments "were for DJs and scratchers," Fremer answered:
Or...

for correcting speed on 1) an original copy of "Kind of Blue" and "Beggar’s Banquet" to name two incorrectly mastered albums!
It’s also handy for musicians who want to play along with records, and either have to pitch-match to the instrument or the other way around. If your piano is out of tune, you’re better off adjusting the speed/pitch control.

To Johnnyb53,   I am sure every point you make is true. However, I am not going to play along with the band.  

Why not the Pioneer PLX 1000? which retails for $679.00.  It looks solid and well made, and got the blessings of that blowhard Herb Reichert who reviews for Stereophile  It is also less expensive than Technics  SL1200 GAE  also reviewed in Stereophile.  Thanks for the comments. SJ 
I have a friend who loves his "U -Turn" although I haven’t heard one myself. They’re inexpensive and they’re made in my current home state of MA (!). If they made them in China they would be free. LOL- That really is funny.
I make it a point never to bring any negativity to these forums, but I have to agree with SJ about Reichert’s reviews. Everything is so hypnotically mesmerizing in a Lava Lamp sort of way. I just have to STOP reading them. Happy New Year!
sunnyjim:
Why not the Pioneer PLX 1000? which retails for $679.00. It looks solid and well made, and got the blessings of that blowhard Herb Reichert who reviews for Stereophile.
That was another option I would consider. Take a $679 PLX-1000, add an Audio Technica AT150Sa for $323.69 plus this economical but very effective cherrywood headshell, plus a good phono preamp (e.g., Schiit Mani for $129) and you should have a bangin’, musically involving system.

I have the AT150Sa mounted to that very cherrywood headshell, and the results are magic. Gone is any bright glare, replaced by a seductive organic presentation. I marvel at the sound and musicality of everything I play through that setup--jazz, pop vocals, large scale orchestral, etc.

BTW, whether you use a pitch control to tune the recording to your instrument is beside the point, which is that THE SL 12X0 SERIES WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR DANCE CLUBS AND SCRATCHERS. It was designed for audiophiles to restore the intended pitch and tempo, and for pitch-matching for musicians.

As an old person, I've always been horrified by "scratchers"…LP Abuse! Tawdry! As a musician I actually get it though, and should get a grip and calm the heck down.
wolf garcia wrote:
As an old person, I've always been horrified by "scratchers"…LP Abuse! Tawdry! As a musician I actually get it though, and should get a grip and calm the heck down.
Your post helped me realize something. It was the DJs and scratchers with their high wear factor that kept the record stampers running from the late '80s to the mid '00s. If they hadn't been so hard on their records, they wouldn't have needed replacements every few weeks or months. If they had gotten 10-20 years wear out of their records like we do, there wouldn't have been enough demand to keep the supply channels busy. 

Once LPs caught on again, there were still mastering labs and stamping machines in place to start meeting demand. As demand increased with the true vinyl renaissance, the suppliers found mothballed stampers and refurbished them. 

So we owe some thanks to DJs, scratchers, and hipster clubbers were so instrumental in keeping vinyl in production.

Ditto for hats. These guys brought back stingy-brim fedoras, usually low cost ones made of cloth or straw. But for me, a 60-something who wears genuine fur-felt fedoras, it means nobody treats me like a weirdo because I wear fedoras.

So that's two things the millenial hipsters made possible for me.

To fjn04,  Well at least I can be accused of picking on audio reviews.  No doubt  Reichert knows his stuff, but he presents it like a show-off. He needs to put away his lavender Lava Lamp.  BTW, thanks for the endorsement of the "U Turn" turntables.  It looks like a righteous product

To Johhnyb53,  Thank you for the information about the Pioneer SLX 1000/ AT 150SA set-up.  I just bought a Moon LP-110 phono box through Music Direct on sale for $325.00.  Can the Schiit Mani compete with the Moon unit??  

I might consider the AT for the "U-Turn" turntable I mentioned above.  However, I was thinking of replacing the Ortofon 2M RED  which it can be pre-mounted  with a Denon DL-110  or DL 103.  

BTW, there is vendor on ebay whose selling new DL-103 for  $159.00 and the DL-110 for 179.00. He appears trustworthy and  not a private party seller,  but, who knows??  I hope  ebay vets its vendors better than Uber does its drivers  SJ 

Johnnyb5,

You are RIGHT ON brother. The designers of the SL1200 knew functionality and performance could be generated in a single package when properly architected and implemented. Not to mention that these tables have some of the lowest wow and flutter figures in the industry and of all time, regardless of makes, models or price. I have a VPI Aries ll and I will put either of my purchased new in box or previously owned 1200s up against it any day. In fact, they have more dynamic punch and superior pace than the VPI. Also, people tend to poo poo the arm but it too is of high quality and correctly implemented. No weakness there. The bearings are high quality and the noise and vibration isolation from the plinth is superb. No wonder these high end tables were adopted for rugged DJ use, they could stand up to the task and perform flawlessly year after year. This table is a high end table first and a DJ table second. No doubt about it. And no maker has equated the direct drive circuitry or precision machining of the 1200 series.

Go ahead and deny that I know what I’m talking about. I know what I hear from MANY years of listening to records/LPs/vinyl with many different so-called high end rigs.

Happy New Year!

Steve
SJ- That was Wolf_garcia…. I have never heard a U-turn. I just copied his comments, and commented on what he said. I'm sure the U-Turn is good for the money. 
Case Closed, I bought the U-Turn TT with the acrylic platter and the Ortofon 2M cartridge, which be replaced  fairly soon with the Denon DL-110 MC   Thanks to all who provided advice and recommendations   SJ
Glad to hear your journey has ended. Please let us know what you think after you have some experience with your new TT. 
A smart upgrade would be a grey-market Shelter 201. I got one from these guys. Their delivery was very prompt and the item was well-packed and intact. At about $167 with free shipping, the price/performance is a no-brainer (and I have a Denon DL-160--big brother to the DL-110). The Shelter 201 walks away from *anything* in the $100-200 range, and is totally competitive at its USA price of $310. Like I said, at $167 w/free shipping it’s a no-brainer.

The Absolute Sound’s rave review of the Polytable was largely conducted with a Shelter 201 cartridge. It gives my Audio Technica AT150Sa a run for the money, and walks away from the Denon DL-160.

Best of all, the replacement stylus is a mere $100, making this cart ridiculously cheap to own and maintain.

To mesch: I'll provide an overview evaluation when I get TT spinning for a few weeks    Thanks, SJ

johnnyb53, I will check out the Shelter 201.  Thanks, SJ