Bowers & Wilkins 801D4 Signature

Hi,

I have 2 homes (one in Brazil and one I recently bought for my summer holidays in Germany). In Brazil I have the 801D4 and wanted to buy the same speakers for my new home in Germany. But my dealer suggested to buy the 801D4 Signature and told me they sound far better and there is a big improvement in sound.
Can anyone confirm this please?

Thank you kindly.

Cheers
Caesar

caesarius

Sounds like your dealer wants to upsell you to a more expensive speaker; only real way to tell is by listening.... 

Do yourself a Bigfavor Perlisten S7 I think better and can be bought under $20 k

I have heard both, and thinking about moving to the regular version from my Audiovector R3, I did hear a difference, but not enough to make up for the price in my opinion. Now, that could have been because the regular was driven by a Classe delta stereo, my current amp, and the signature was driven by pass labs, can’t remember the model. But I generally don’t like pass labs. 

(it was at a dealer and it was in two different rooms.)

It is critical to know whose signature. If it’s MJ’s signature then by all means go for it.

@fredrik222 Those Audiovector R3 sound really good for their price.  I enjoyed them at a couple of shows and been impressed each time.

According to the manufacturer they are definitely different, significant upgrades in the tweeter, crossover, the plinth, etc. 

@travelinjack yeah, I love them, but the temptation to upgrade is always there, but I don’t think my room can handle larger speakers.

I heard them and they are a little better, the paint finish only 2 colors And charging 

$1000 s , the tweeter grill is a bit more open , the midrange basket is a bit better

as well as the bass ,these should have been standard long ago what is the premium price $50,000 that is insane ,the still are not that good at low volume 

I heard theBlue ones ,there are many speakers better at that price ,look at the New Wilson Shasha Daw  less money more efficient and natural.

If your dealer is truly interested in you and your situation he will demo both speaker sets in the same room with the same electronics for you. Otherwise, there is no way either you or he can be sure.  Your satisfaction, not his wallet, should be his goal. What is your recourse should you not like the Signature model, will he take them back? 

Hi asked me to come to the NL to listen to both (of course the same amp and room) but I'm in Brazil at the moment and don't have the time to fly over for a listening session.

@audioman58 "I heard the Blue ones ,there are many speakers better at that price ,look at the New Wilson Shasha Daw  less money more efficient and natural."

The price of the Sasha Daw are almost the same as the signature price...
But I will ask my dealer if he has them, thank you.

I think the OP will have a clear choice to make between the B&W vs. Wilson or other brands.  The B&W has a pronounced house sound and if the OP is looking for that only another B&W will do.

Similarly priced speakers from Wilson and Magico are going to be more neutral but significantly different. The OP should 100% make up their own mind as to which direction they wish to go in.

@caesarius 

If you are considering other speaker brands I would highly recommend auditioning  Rockport Avior ii speakers. They are superb world class speakers. Good luck! 

What are you using for electronics, front end ,and cabling ? 
which will forsure will dictate any speakers choice.

Can you recommend a home in Switzerland for my summer holidays?

Would love to see a picture of your System and your place in Brazil? What amplifiers do you use for your speakers. I have the MC 901 monos here

I like the B&w 802 d3 which I biamp now. Really need tubes for the mid and tweeters, especially with B&w.

Either are lovely speakers, but there is minuscule difference between the two in most circumstances.  I have the 800D3 I bought used here for $19K that I couple with Classe Delta monos.  I auditioned the 801D4 and was never quite sure if I could tell the difference.  Hence why I am working on room treatment.

At some point, it becomes a purely subjective decision, which is where I strive to save a ton of money by buying demos or lightly used.

I would encourage some tubes somewhere in the system as the mid and top end of the 800s is very precise and some people can find it tiresome.  I opted for a PrimaLuna EVO 400 preamp, but there are plenty of valid choices.

Long way of saying, any of the choices you are looking at are great, so I'd look for a set that someone is selling for whatever reason and go sink the money into the rest of your system.

I say, If you can afford the upgrade, don't even think about it, trust your dealer and go with the upgrade.  There's a good chance that your dealer knows what he's talking about.  In the long-run, you'll regret not buying the better speaker. 

Pleads listen to the Vandersteen Kinta at about 35k. They may change your mind. I went from B&W to their Quatro wood ct for about $17k.  Much better 

The Vandy Kèntos are pretty amazing. What Richard has done with his patented bass at this price range is crazy. They are worth an audition.