Differences between Harbeth, Spendor, Graham, etc. ?

This is perhaps a foolish question, given the subjective nature of this hobby, but is there any consensus regarding differences between the above brands? I’m interested in their "traditional" or "vintage" lines, not the more modern-voiced models.

For example, I’ve read that the Spendor Classic series speakers are, overall, warmer/darker than Harbeths and offer a bit more punch in the bass. If this is true, I would lean toward the former.

stuartk

I’m certainly not saying that the “Magic“ isn’t there

in the mid range of many of these British speakers.

I absolutely adore the sound of my spenders speakers and loved

the Harbeth speakers as well.  I still think In someways both

Vocals in a particularly human fashion.  And there’s a wonderful texture and body to the sound.   I just found that there was Another level

of refinement to be found in  my Joseph audio speakers.

Thanks for the ongoing comments. I'm now less inclined to regard these brands as the right direction for me. 

I have the Graham Audio LS 5/9 and adore them, beautiful reproduction of the human voice, strings sound sublime and jazz is just very special to listen too. I have never heard the Joseph Audio speakers so can’t comment on them, but I hear good things.

I have heard a few speakers and some much more expensive that the Graham’s, but for me the Grahams just reproduce voices so nicely, especially male voices which I think is more difficult to get right that the female voice, that most high end speakers do very well.

Thanks for your observations. Jazz and other acoustic genres constitute a major share of my listening. However, for me, choosing a speaker primarily due to its presentation of vocals is too limiting. I need more of an all-rounder. 

I usually stay away from these types of comparisons that often turn into pissing matches. But, given some of the negative opinions expressed about Harbeth speakers, I want to share my experiences having owned several Harbeth speakers over the years, including P3esr, M30.1, SHL5+, and M40.2.

First of all, you have to acknowledge the fact that when a company sticks around for this long and has a huge fanbase, they have to be doing something right. The opinions of the usual suspects who trash speaker brand A in favor of brand B which they happen to own should be taken with a grain of salt. Just because you don’t like a speaker doesn’t mean it’s overpriced crap.

In my audio journey, I have gone away from Harbeth several times, only to dearly miss the sound characteristics and buy them again. A couple of years ago, I replaced my Harbeth SHL5+ with Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene speakers. The Perspectives were an amazing speaker and did most things right. But I still missed that unique Harbeth midrange magic. Sure, the bass on the Perspectives was tighter and more visceral. They had a very modern, crisp sound ... but at the end of the day, while they wowed me they did not engage me emotionally. So last year, I replaced them with Harbeth M40.2.

For my tastes, in my room, with my equipment, there’s simply no contest. While the 40.2 don’t have the visceral and impactful bass (which is phenomenal on the JA Perspectives), what they do have is very natural, tuneful and textured bass which I enjoy considerably more than the Perspectives. These speakers need a hefty amp to wake them up though. I suspect most people who were ultimately disappointed in Harbeth 40.x (especially when it comes to playing pop, rock, EDM) did not give them enough current. For me, after owning several pairs of speakers ranging from $2000 - 25,000, the 40.2s have given me the most listening pleasure to date. The bass is good enough that it prompted me to sell my pair of REL S/510s. The vocal reproduction is outstanding. The midrange is so seductive that it makes you forget about the equipment and just get drawn (drown?) into the music. Unlike some other speakers, the Harbeths are not going to make your jaw drop at first listen. No, they’re not that type of speaker. What they do bring to the table is a sense of ’substance’, naturalness, and balance across the frequency range. I listen to all types of music with the exception of metal, rap, and hip hop. The 40.2s just deliver what I desire.

This does not mean the Perspectives are an inferior speaker. I’m sure some folks would prefer them over anything Harbeth. But what I can tell you is that if you keep aside the usual allegations (old technology, cheap parts, etc.) to insinuate that these are overpriced speakers, and only focus on sound ... then IMO the 40.2 are absolutely worthy of their asking price. Also, just because they do vocals exceedingly well doesn’t mean they’re a one trick pony or not worthy of being considered as all-rounders. They do lots of things very right. Maybe it’s not your cup of tea and that’s quite alright. But let’s not write them off because someone thinks they’re not worth the asking price.