Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

“How does 301 at this point compare with the SME”
@mdalton 

Too early to make any assessments cause 301 is not completely dialed in. But I do see myself enjoying 301, for a very long time. SME 15AV is a great sounding TT, much quieter and robust than the 301 on hand. And it has lot to do with the plinth. If there is a weak link, it’s the plinth. I cannot recommend DAS Acoustics for 301/401 plinths to anyone…the interactions, quality of build fell way short of my expectations. 

Koetsu deal fell through so hopefully there will be another opportunity to own a Koetsu in near future. 

The individual who I reference for materials worthwhile considering for Plinth Builds does the materials testing.

This same individual has made it known that a Modeller Putty known as Newplast, is excellent as a substance for improving the Damping Properties of materials in use that don't measure with an attractive Damping Factor.

A treatment with this within the rebated area of the Plinth and concealed underneath might be the way to extract more of what is being looked for.

Update; Added Viablue spikes and TriBase to plinith (found them in my closet). Gain another 3dB in volume without further introducing any vibrations. I am now at volume where I can comfortably listen to the record’s.

Now the big question, invest further in a SRA type platform or pursue one of SMD Acoustics Bespoke Plinth‘s

https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=882

And bite the bullet also upgrade the bearing,

https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=718

Let's back up. Which platter are you presently using? I am a huge proponent of sourcing the very best after-market bearing available and have done that with both. my hot-rodded Thorens TD124 and Garrard 301 but I also sourced heavier platters than the OEM on each. On the other hand, there is something magical about the OEM lightweight 301 platter and OEM bearing, particularly the grease bearing. Considerations boil down to the STYLE/character of the sound you seek. The heavy duty precision bearing and heavier platter produce a more neutral and arguable "cleaner, quieter" sound, the OEM platter and bearing provide a more propulsive and dynamic sound that may be noisier, but is more fun. 

Let's go big picture though; neither the upgraded bearing nor the custom plinth is going to solve your problem. You have a feedback/isolation problem. Your loudspeakers are essentially overpowering your tonearm/cartridge/record interface. If you have a handy friend (or an available contractor) please try my relatively easy-to-implement trick of bracing the floor joists under your equipment rack from underneath. This can be done on a temporary trial basis. Try 4x4 vertical posts wedged as tightly as possible without unleveling your suspending floor against the joists. That said, this will not eliminate airborne energy overpowering your turntable isolation. At some point repositioning your loudspeakers and even considering a different loudspeaker (and subs) may be required. Many of us fixate on the loudspeaker when putting our systems together and end up with a speaker that is simply too large and emits too much energy for the owner's listening room. Then "we" wonder why the sound does not match ones expectations. We can call this the "Magico Syndrome". For example, in my relatively small room my Devore O/93's are perfect and their bigger brother, the O/96's, as much as I love them more in a vacuum (larger room) would do the very same thing in my room as you are currently experiencing. 

But yes, I would never have chosen a DAS plinth. Greg Metz provided me with one and mounted my 301 in it when I bought my NOS 301 from him. I could not get rid of it fast enough. Luckily for me, Russ Collinson of Layers of Beauty was still building incredible custom plinths at the time. And please, try Stillpoints when you upgrade your plinth. You might try contacting Steve Dobbins of Xact Audio for advice. He offers his own design of 301 platter and plinth and is a huge advocate of Stillpoints for 301's. 

You might check SPH bearing. Word has it that it sounds better than most others. I use 2 of them. 

Have you tried springs under the plinth? Test with Nobsound online for $35. I use them. 

Look for my posts on both.