Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

@pindac 

Thanks for your post and the link to the article. It does makes sense. I’ve been determined to make things work and so glad that I’m finally able to enjoy my TT . The root of the problem is my suspended flooring. One of the poster already suggested addressing the flooring by installing Jack posts to firm up the flooring. That’s a long term solution, unfortunately not in the cards right now. I do realize the need to address this as some of the boards have loosened (normal a for 17 years old home) underneath the carpet. 

The lengths we go to, just to spin a bloody record…LOL!  

@lalitk That is good news. As long as you are hearing the best qualities of the turntable system. When I experimented with supports and feet, I noticed that tightness, speed, extension, and intensity were impacted by materials and solutions necessitated by compromise. 

@lalitk The time now is to forget 'what was' and enjoy the 'what is'.

The obvious audible intrusion has been tamed, it will be a period of time, before the wish to bring to forefront a sonic that is detected as being not the most attractive is desirable to be tidied up. You are with quite a few trials of different permutations for support to be utilised, before Propping Flooring is the treatment.

In case I forget. the Diament Guidance, suggests the Roller Bearing will work on improvements to isolation in the Horizontal Axes, there is still Guidance on how to treat the Vertical Axes to have an improved Isolation. There are many who have done this and have found it to be of value. A said, there is also those who are strongly suggested to have built their Business offering the method.          

“materials and solutions necessitated by compromise. ”
@noromance

I hear you. That’s the first thing I wanted to analyze by adding the roller blocks underneath the plinth. During my 3 hours listening with different reference recordings, I noticed no compromises in dynamics or tonality of music. If anything, we gained clarity and solidarity in playback…everything sounds right. I am able to crank up the volume without causing or adding any kinds of distortions to the sound.

It’s a huge WIN, and all I want to do is buy more records, unwrap & clean and play them on my Garrard 301 😊

Thank you all for sticking through my journey.

When setting up support structure for a Stylus to perform at its optimised / close to  optimised. My experiences had, has discovered that 2mm (1/16) in a thickness of a materials used under the Stylus can make a major difference.

The TT is not up and running at present, but because I was very impressed by the AT 677 Mat, I have a Micro Seiki Copy of a Mat made in very similar metal to the AT 677, but at a 10mm, approx' (3/8) thickness.

Forex Foam Mats used as 5mm Thick Mat, are in my set up extremely attractive in use on both ID TT and DD TT's. Take the same material mat in less than 5mm, when used in my system on a DD TT, the outcome is the usage is very short lived. This material type at lesser thicknesses does not perform attractively. 

The same outcome occurred on a system in another Home on a BD TT, the system owner was so impressed with the 5mm Mat I gifted it to them.