How serious are you?

On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being totally obsessed, how serious are you about this hobby?  Explain please. Thanks. 

128x128mapman

During the lockdown, I was obsessed with the hobby of buying and selling audio gear about 8 on a 10 scale. I just got a new pair of speakers, but after that, I'm good, so today I would be a 2 on that scale.

@larsman yes my obsession comes and goes but never leaves. I’m probably an 8 highest. There are some things I just won’t do or buy into. But I take no prisoners when it comes to having just the right sound available when called upon which is almost every day to some degree.

My Roon dash says I’ve listened 50 hours and 14 minutes over the last 4 weeks.

Yes it’s come down to my hifi measuring how much time I spend with it. Hope it does not have a hissy fit like HAL in 2001 A Space Odyssey and take it out on me 😉.

Maybe 3. I lost interest with near SOTA systems over 10 years ago. Now my interest is limited to getting the sound that I want to hear. New acquisitions are rare but I did get a new preamp recently because it offered both analog as well as digital DACs, and a Schiit Lokius for old recordings. Sounds pretty good. 

Same here as Larsman...   I made some major changes since 2021 including a second system

My main system is pretty near end game , except for speakers but I am saving that for down the road.   Waiting on a DHT preamp and when that arrives I am pretty much done.  Not much more I could want for and since getting a turntable  I am really enjoying my records again.   Since getting a good streamer I have discovered more music in the past 5 years than in 56 years !    So I am more about enjoying the music than dissecting the hardware .

My second system is super simple and gets me about 75% there.   It is very musically satisfying.   In a few weeks I will have what will be my last piece of hardware for a long time , a pair of Omega Super Alnico Monitors.   

I bought these for System 2 but I will be rotating these and my other compact monitors between both systems to fight boredom and stave off any future upgrades for a while.  

When you have enough gear to put together to put together a third system,  and you have no room then you know you have a problem. That said I am selling off several pieces.   I hate seeing good gear not being enjoyed 

I guess in terms of buying new gear I am more of a 3-4 I’d estimate. I go for a long time with what a I have once I get it right. But I am always on the lookout for technical advancements and features that might move the needle and in most years I am likely to add something new to try but that does not mean I necessarily replaced anything. I keep multiple systems running and also keep spares around just in case needed. Yikes, better make that a 6-7!!  What normal person does that?