Quick question for the Cables Don't Make a Difference Crowd.

Quick question for the Cables Don't Make a Difference Crowd. 

Why don't you all just completely eliminate cables by buying an all in one with powered speakers using Wi-Fi or BT?  

tkrtrb125

I find it interesting that we can get so emotional on the topic of cables...it's the science types poking at those who are invested in cables...and the investors getting defensive.

I side with the investors because 9 out of 10 times they are minding their own business and discussing their cables and get randomly attacked.

What would women think about us fighting over cables? ;-)  

The funny part of all these cable magical sounds is that the big majority of people into this are people that on average are older than 30 years of age, meaning humans as early in their thirties start losing their hearing mostly in the upper registers, getting worse as the years go by; nonetheless, we have here many people in their 40s-80s hearing better sound coming out of cables.

Of course a cable can and most definitely make a difference in the transmission of the signal, but for all these older people who hear all these magical new sounds (I wonder how since hearing loss is a fact at those ages) I would say that a lot of it has to do with a placebo effect.

@robert_1 also consider the fact that these elder statesmen of audio and audio cables have more disposable income, therefore have much nicer hi-fi systems than those 30 and under. More revealing systems not some of the internet/big box lo-fi. You know the stuff the ASR crowd buys. 

@boxcarman

”….The cable unbelievers either don’t have audiophile ears or an unresolving system where wires are just wires….”

So says His Audio Excellency, sacred holder of the highest knowledge in all things audio.

Maybe His Audio Excellency speaks in jest?

Nevertheless. Let me say two things in refutation.

- as for the revealing system, see theaudioatticvinylsundays.com , go to the bottom of the about page. Note that I don’t even bother to mention cables in there, but if you must know, I use monster for speaker cable and something or other (sorry I’m not in front of my system right now) to connect the components that costs around $5-$7 a foot.

- as for the ears, why is it that during the listening sessions that I hold, that it is I that is always pointing out characteristics in the music that my audience don’t hear? It’s not because I have better - “audio quality” is how I think you put it - ears, it’s because people hear differently, their brains are wired differently, they are drawn to different sounds, they listen differently. Same thing with random ambient sound: I can be somewhere in a room or outdoors, I’ll hear something (in spite of my cervical stenosis-induced tinnitus) and say something about it, the other people with me are like wtf are you talking about and I say sssh listen, and then they hear it?

I will say that most people - thanks to social media - have forgotten how to sit still and listen. But that’s a related topic.

But they all are stunned - stunned - by the quality of sound from my system. Comments run from “never ever heard music sound like that before”, “better than live music”, “when I die, I’m going to ask … no, I’m going to tell God to send me back here.”

With cables that don’t cost U.S. $5M per foot.

I stopped believing in the Catholic Church at age 9.
I stopped believing in God at age 13.
Do you really think that I’m going to genuflect in The Church of Audio before The Altar of Cable Theology at age 70?

I’m not going there.

PS: I wonder if this offends Tammy and whomever in this crowd jerks her chain: let’s see how long this post lasts.

PPS:

Poppy Crum on Led Zeppelin and why people hear either what they want to hear or what they are directed to or told to hear, in Audio Myths, from 5:12 to 9:28:

https://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?si=7qn-YZsXI2BzRH_s

The entire talk is worth listening to, especially JJ Johnson who speaks just before Poppy and is on point to my discussion.

Poppy Crum on Sensory perception and empathy

https://youtu.be/SYytiQmXNTc?si=yzIIePDQgicAGFOn

Poppy Crumb is chief audio engineer at Dolby.