Selling gear with TMR

I’m at the point of wanting to sell some gear and am seeking any experiences of selling with The Music Room. Did it make things easier? Did you get what you thought was a reasonable offer? Other benefits or detriments you might share?

128x128hilde45

I think it depends on what you want to trade in, and if they are actually aware of the value.

To me, in the last couple of years there offers have been extremely low. 

ozzy

@ozzy Totally agree. My Salks were in pristine condition and their offer was low and then my cut of that was really, really low. Salk is not like a KEF or Focal, but they're not unknowns, either. Selling it on my own put $1k easily back in my pocket. Again, they have their formula and best practices, and I don't question that, but if an offer for good gear seems low, it probably is. It becomes a question of what amount of time and hassle you will put up with to get what you think the fair market value is.

@ozzy agree with you and @hilde45 if the items are we are trying to sell to them are (boutique) not mainstream or regularly bought/sold, there is less appreciable market data available for them to go off, and (more perceived risk) to make a reasonable offer. I did talk to them about this some, and the main buyer there said they buy a ton of stuff and watch market and buy/sale values continuously trying to keep up, and working to not get stuck with something they don’t have much data on or have no personal experiences on within their teams. They must be doing something right with up to 40 staffers now. Not a 10 person operation any more.

I have had nothing but great experiences with TMR.  I made 3 separate purchases and one trade in with a purchase. Everything went flawlessly and I got a better price on my trade in than I got trying to sell it here.   My last dealing with them was in Feb 2019.  

Had one selling transaction that went as expected … completely easy and hassle free … I got maybe 75% of what I could have gotten on my own, and they sold it for maybe 10-15% more than I think I would have. I think that sounds reasonable to me anyway. In the right circumstance I’d participate with them in either direction.

I’ve declined a few other offers I’ve deemed too low, and they’ve declined to take in a few more items.