Solid state to tube

I have been a solid state guy since my start in this hobby. Over the years I have built a few systems and have used mainly older YBA seperates pre and power for my front end.

I also have a pair of musetex MT101 mono blocks from Meitner audio which I use as well.

My speakers are reference 3a lintegre

I am thinking of moving to a all tube system 

. However I have little experience

I have looked at Quick Silver and a small boutique builder called Will Vincent. Have not heard anything yet. I thought I might inquire here first for any suggestions from tube savvy members

ecpninja

@ronboco 

Both tube and solid state amplifiers if push-pull can be either class A bias or class AB. If they are single ended circuits (Rather than push-pull) then they are pure class A by default. For example, all SET or SEP tube  amplifiers are exclusively pure class A circuits. First Watt has some solid state single ended class A amplifiers.

Charles

@thr1961 Based on this experience, I added an ARC preamp and power amp and am thrilled with the sound, even in these early days of tube burn-in. Of note, even my wife noticed the difference and she typically never hears the differebe hard for anyone not to notice the difference in my sound.

Yep! With that degree of change it’d be near impossible not to hear a difference. 😊

Congratulations. Nice move by you.

Charles

If you want to start with your existing power amps and start by adding a tube preamp these are the less expensive models that interest me, and I've been using tube gear (predominantly) since the mid 70's.

I'm out of touch with auditioning recent models and my interest in these items is based solely upon numerous online reviews (including those by A'Gon members who's opinions I have come to trust over time).

First up is a combination head phone/speaker amp that can also be used as a line stage preamplifier.

If you search A'Gon there is a review/post of it comparing it to their much more expensive preamp (the poster owned/used both in their system).

DeKay

@ecpninja if you are more use to the type of drive your Meitner MTR-101 mono amps have now, and even though your speakers spec is 8ohm / 92db sensitivity, the room size and desired volume listening levels is a real factor to consider.  

Coming from your existing SS Mosfet amps, I could see why Will Vincent might lean you towards Mono amps instead of the ST70 stereo amp build he does.

If you go with Quicksilver and want more Transformer capability and drive, the Mono 60s, Monos 120s, or the latest QS Monos in order to run a wider array of output tubes ranging from low to higher power ranges, and different sound types.