Subwoofer Advice

I am running a pair of Martin Logan ESL 13A speakers (24-23,000 Hz). I would have thought with two 10" woofers there would be more bas (the base level dial on the rear of the speakers doesn’t seem to cut it either).

In the past I had a pair of ML Spires (29-23,000 Hz) with only one 10" woofer that had so much base, I sold my pair of ForceField 30s. Not the case with the 13A’s.

I don’t have a lot of room, maybe 16" or so square and I was wondering about a pair of SVS Micros. Do you think they would complement the 13As or do I need something bigger?

Martin Logan has come out with a few new subs lately; do you think I should keep in the ML family?

Hoping to come in under $2K, so used is fine. Thanks all!

I should also mention I’m limited on space so placement would likely have to be on the inside or the outside of the main speakers (same back wall).

128x128navyachts
Post removed 
Post removed 

@mijostyn I understand the principle behind dual opposing drivers. There are many ways to get good sound, with some better than others. That doesn't mean all other options are "wrong". I rarely listen at loud volumes and have 4 subs. They are never straining, which leads to distortion. They all have their volume at around 20 - 30 percent of maximum. They are well integrated, so that with most music, you wouldn't detect their presence. The same results can be achieved in a small room with a couple of smallish sealed subs if setup correctly, with great results and little or no distortion.

+ big_greg, well said.

mijostyn continues to take the time to share a great deal of his practical experience gained from his interesting system and room relationship. Also well done. I have great admiration when it comes to his immaculately dust free well appointed shop. Absolutly stunning. 

IME, if one uses the simple crawl test and low frequency test tones to locate their rooms best sounding room mode. Positioning even a modestly priced -3dB subwoofer with basic controls in, can have quite an entertaining low frequency presentation at least at the listening position. Cost? A long pair of economical interconnects.

With the exception of a four sub array, I've found poor room positioning to be the most common reason for poor subwoofer performance. 

@big_greg you think? Just because your subs are not at max volume does not mean they do not resonate. Some enclosures are better than others, but the only commercial subwoofer that are virtually resonance free is the Magico Q series subwoofers and they are balanced force. There is no other commercial subwoofer you can integrate with ESLs satisfactorily. They all stick out like a sore thumb. All the subwoofers I have ever made except the final model have stuck out like sore thumbs. In addition you can not satisfactorily integrate subwoofer with a 2 way crossover and digital signal processing.

What you are use to hearing is satisfactory to you. My problem is that the sound I was and am getting is never satisfactory to me. That is a curse that nobody needs. Look what it did to me https://imgur.com/gallery/building-resonance-free-subwoofers-dOTF3cS