Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Charles1dad wrote,

"Geof,
That’s makes a lot of sense. This is why I and others have written that the higher the audio system’s resolution prowess the greater the impact of the Black fuses. As one addresses distortion and lowers the noise floor in their respective system /components there’s less veiling/limiting of what the Black fuses have to offer. You explain this progressive tweak improvement well IMO.
Charles, "

Yes, but think of the FUTURE. Think of how you’re going to carry on when you try the next big tweak! And what will that next big tweak be? What will be on everyone’s lips? The other corollary of The Last Tweak Syndrome is that as audiophiles we tend to get carried away with the Last Big Tweak we try and hyper focus on it at the expense of everything else.  It's harder to hit a moving target.  A rolling stone gathers no moss.

The Black fuse can’t be the end of the game, or can it? Lol

geoff kait
machina dynamica

Geoff,

"Last Tweak Syndrome" is an interesting theory.  Who came up with that again? 

Its definitely what's best for business.
mapman ...

You are such a cynic. *lol*

Geoffkait ...

Interesting take on "the last tweak."   I've found myself asking the question many times after installing a tweak that works: is there anymore that can be had from those digits and grooves? When I first installed the Shatki Holograms, the effect was so profound, I thought that it had to be the end. The system went from a flat-screen presentation to one of 3-D. I've demonstrated this to friends many times by taking them out of the system, then putting them back in. Everyone hears the effects ... everyone. 

There have been many more improvements subsequent to placing the Holograms into the system, and many of those came before the first experiment with the very first SR Red fuse. 

As I listen to the system now, it is so good that it suspends disbelief.  And ... there is still a Red fuse lurking in my amp waiting to be replaced with another Black fuse. After that, based upon the success gotten from the fuses, there will be more SR tweaks to come. I'm torn as to what to try next. I'm thinking about the XOT Carbon filters for the speaker crossovers, the ECT's for the interior of the electronics or the PHT's for the phono cartridge and the turntable junction box. Maybe David or Charles can help me out here. 

David ...

I'm looking forward to meeting Ted Denny. I want to know what's on the horizon for his company. I've watched a youtube video about a new room treatment SR has using a material that sticks to the walls. I hope they demonstrate it at Newport. 

Robert and I will be checking in at Newport on Saturday, late morning. I'll give you a call as soon as we're done. Looking forward to meeting you. Anyone else want to meet up? 

OP
Moopman wrote,

mapman
13,054 posts
03-28-2016 11:48am
"Geoff,

"Last Tweak Syndrome" is an interesting theory. Who came up with that again?"

Three guesses. The first two don’t count.

Moopman also wrote,

"Its definitely what’s best for business."

I’m sure you’re just being paranoid. You know how I eschew tooting my own horn.

Geoff Kait
Machoman Dramatica
This might be a timely article I came across over at High Fidelity.
In it, the author points out that all common fuses are welded with nickel
elements and that is a bottleneck, or sorts, to good sound. Also, there is a vibrating element that needs to be addressed with the wire in the fuse as current is passed through it.

Maybe he’s onto something.

All the best,
Nonoise