Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Almarg wrote,

"I will say with respect to the controversy of the day that I have perceived over the years a somewhat understandable tendency among many audiophiles to over-attribute (or mis-attribute) intrinsic tonal and other sonic characteristics to things that may make a difference in some cases, but for which there is no reasonable basis to expect any consistency or predictability of the resulting sonic character among different applications.

With respect to outlets, for example, it does seem conceivable that sonic consequences could result from certain factors, starting with contact integrity. But to expect those differences to affect tonality or other sonic attributes in a manner that has any particular likelihood of being applicable to components that may be completely different in design and may be performing completely different functions and may be powered by AC having very different voltages and noise characteristics, seems to me to be fundamentally irreconcilable with any reasonable understanding of how this stuff works."

Actually, reading between the legalese, I tend to agree that it’s probably inconceivable to many folks how certain things in audioland can change the tonality. Was it Arthur C. Clarke who opined that a thing or technology only needs to be just beyond the grasp of ordinary experience or knowledge to be perceived as magic? You know, like a Polaroid camera demonstration to a tribe of some lost Godforsaken island somewhere. Or perhaps like tiny little bowl resonators, or those really tiny Marigo VTS dots for capacitors and electron tubes, or WA Quantum Chips, wall outlets AND wall outlet covers, Schumann frequency generators, wire directionality, Morphic messages, purple pen, Green Pen, Red X Pen, Intelligent Chips, carbon nanotubes, beeswax, Graphene. These all seem fundamentally irreconcilable as regards tonality.

One assumes the expression "reasonable understanding" is subjective.

famous last words:

"I can find no technical explanation of how this thing works."

"I don’t have any explanation for how this thing works but work it does."

cheerios,

geoff kait
machina dramatica

^^^ And I have no clue why a finely aged English cheddar tastes so much better than a slice of processed American cheese. Maybe the English cheese makers use Quantum Tunneling? :-)

I’m sure a simple google search would easily clarify how and why they are different.

A scientific study could even be done using statistics and sampling to determine which more people prefer if anyone cares but science will never be able to accurately predict what each individual will prefer every time.

Unless all of one or the other turns outright moldy perhaps. Probably that would still not stop some from saying they prefer it.

If I am understanding correctly, then my best option would be to begin with the cheese on the Maggies? 
^^^ *lol* ... 

If you were to go back and read all 37 pages of this thread (a chore for sure), you'd find several posters who have swapped out the stock fuses on their Maggies for the SR Black fuses and were pleasantly surprised at the improvement

I'd start with the fuses on the Maggies, then sit back and relax with a nice single malt Scotch, some aged English Cheddar on crackers ... while listening to Paul Desmond's alto sax. :-)
Hmm, Boars Head White Canadian Cheddar aged over 1000 days, some rosemary crackers and a nice red wine for me (whatever gets you there).
:-)

All the best,
Nonoise