Upgrade path question with $2k to spend

I'd like to make my next upgrade in my 2 channel signal path. Right now it goes

Ortofon 2M Bronze (cart) -> Pro-Ject Debut Carbon SB (table) -> Pro-Ject Phonobox DS+ (Pre-amp) -> Yamaha Avantage RX-2070 (amp) -> Focal Aria 936 (fronts) + HSU ULS-15 MK2 (sub)

I understand room treatment can give the best bang but lets count that out for now. From a purely component perspective what do you think I should upgrade? Im leaning towards the turntable. It was my first table and altough I upgraded the cart, its only a $500 table. I was thinking of maybe buying the Rega Planar 6 w/ Aria MC cart.

Suggestions welcome thanks!

icegeek

I now run the TV through my 2 channel

It had to be said. If the OP sells his multi channel stuff, he'll have some money for a superior 2 channel rig. No need to wholesale the whole thing, he just needs a good amp now, then some careful speaker placement and he'll have a fine setup.

OP,

Surround processors are crammed with all sorts of functions. In home theater you have video distracting you from the audio. Audio only systems do that well. If you want good audio you need to get audio only stuff.

Take this into consideration, the very best audio amps are two boxes… one for left channel one for right. The very best preamps are two box solutions, one for the power supply and one for the preamp functions. The best preamps are a single or double box. Separating each function permits isolation of the circuits and power supply. cramming this stuff and many amps in a bag is not going to sound good. I have a home theater system worth around $50K… it is not remotely competitive in sound quality with my audio system.

Ok so how about this then.  I like to occasionally listen to the system loud.  I'm getting 200+ wpc through my yamaha.  The integrated amps I see are not even close to that kind of power. Suggestions?

Having everything separate means having lots more connection points and the various wiring to connect all of it together so a good integrated would be the way to go. The old, worn out thought process said monoblocks, and all the associated stuff to go with them was the way to go but technology has come a long way and modern integrated amps sound every bit as good as separates. 

As for WPC, chances are you never or rarely reach that 200 level and there are lots of integrateds that are rated at 120 or 150 wpc that will play as loud as you want (unless you're playing outdoors or in a concert hall). Peachtree and Parasound are two that come to mind.

Not the 6.

Save a bit more and go for the Rega Planar 8.

You can continue with your current cart and phono stage.

Will be the best bang for buck improvement and will withstand further upgrades downstream.