Recommendations Wanted

Hello All,

Would like everyone’s opinion on speaker replacement as I feel it is the weak link in my system. Currently I am running a McIntosh 240 amplifier, Fisher CX-2 preamplifier, and a Linn Sondek turntable. Speakers are B&W 703 S1 and 90 db efficient from about 2009.

Sometimes the system will create that magic and disappear in the room, but mostly not. I listen at  7 feet away in a 16x22x10 room. My choice of music is jazz lp’s and some lighter rock lp’s. I occasionally like to listen at higher volumes so somewhat efficient speakers may be best. This especially since I only have 40wpc of tube power. The budget is 5k new or used.

Thanks,

Rob

thermionicemission

FWIW, I see what I believe to be other weaknesses in your system besides the speakers. IE, you have no sub listed. That may be what you need to make those speakers sing. Two is better. But It will make your mains sound much larger with a bigger sound stage. There is another item I might change also. But not the speakers until you try a sub, preferably REL IMO

That said why do you think your speakers are the weak link?

Triangle Esprit Australe EZ if you can find a pair. They love tubes and are masters of 3D sound. 

You don’t mention room treatment, that can play a roll. To the above, some music is just not recorded or reproduced in great quality. Look into room treatments, find a song or two that gives you what you desire, move your speakers around a bit. See how that changes the stage. Sometimes micro movements can make all the difference. 

IME, and I’ve compared them head to head, Joseph Audio speakers do everything better than B&Ws, and they’re among the best in the business at pulling off the disappearing act.  Anything JA will get you there.  Best of luck. 

before you buy new, do yourself a big favor and buy a sound pressure level meter. I did, it’s my latest ’you ought to do this’ kick.

Pro friends used theirs in my space twice years ago, then took them away. I used my ears since then. Changed back to former speakers since then.

I FINALLY bought my own! Wish I had done it years ago. gives you real answers about your speaker’s output, in THAT space at _____? Location, when they are positioned ___", when they are toed-in ____?, when they are tilted back a bit to change the angle of reflections off now non-parallel surfaces, ...

IOW, you will find the best combo you can get with those speakers in your space.

After gaining answers/best existing, consider what speaker could be better, do your search informed.

I realized, I don’t need a pro quality meter, just one that shows bands of output relative to adjacent bands, they have instructions to calibrate ’actual’ level, all I wanted to know was frequency balance ’received’ at my listening position. Get one with a hole for a tripod, set it up seated ear level, start with setup 'as is', then take your time messing about bit by bit

I use this test cd with specific 1/3 octave bands, so easy

That size space, I suspect you are listening too close,