PsAudio 300?

From everthing that I have read; this sounds like one piece of very exciting equipment. Anybody out there have experience with this baby? The feedback I got from my Ps Audio UO post is not motivating me to go that way, but this, if found used, may do it for me. Show me the light! Please, first hand experience only. Thanks
whirshfield
My experience with PP Audio 300 Power plant is this; when using a tube pre-amp I had lots of noise (hum though the speakers). I never had any problems with fan noise . After swicthing to a solid state pre-amp totally dead quiet.
thats one of the big reason I did not go thru the trouble of demoing the Power Director...a lot of non descript sometimes conflicting info. I'm sure the 300 does a good job, but am happy with the Cinepro (or any other quality product of it's like).
Mdomnick,
Try this link,
http://psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp
Scroll down a little over half way,two lines above:
Want more proof.

"Only the Power Plant,which uses AC regeneration can completely eliminate all noise and harmonics,repair clipped AC wave forms,regulate the voltage and provide a fully balanced AC signal to your equipment."
Are you sure about that N_2?

This is from PS Audio's website:

The Power Plants are NOT a filter or balanced transformer. These are actual AC generators that produce perfectly clean AC power under ANY conditions, even when the incoming AC is clipped or badly distorted - something no filter, power line conditioner, or balanced transformer can do.
I have owned a PowerPlant 300 for over a year now. When I bought it, I was a skeptic. I found it here at a good price, and figured I would try it, dislike it, and resell it. Here is is a year later, I am keeping it.

I run my CD Player and Pre on the PS-300, set to 90 Hz frequency, which seems to yield the best results. I do not have a fan or multiwave option, and I do not see the need for either. (The fan makes noise, I did not hear much difference on a PS300 that did have multiwave). My unit runs at about 110W output continously, and draws roughly 170 watts input, both meassured using a watt meter. So, your electric bill will be a touch higher. The unit gets, you guessed it, nice and warm. I have had more equipment plugged in, and just was not as happy with the results when the unit was running at 250W output; music seemed a bit less vibrant.

Another note, I run the unit at 90Hz output, which seems to yield best results with my CD player. However, there is a very slight audible buzz from the transformer in the CD player. (Very slight meaning: I put my ear on the CD player, I change the frequency from 60 to 90, and I hear the buzz become higher pitched and perceive it as being louder).

Overall, it made the quiet passages quiter, seemed to make the highs a little crisper, and the bass became a little tighter I think. They're small, but pleasing changes. I think I paid about $600 used for mine, and consider it well worth it.

Niels.
Power Plants output balanced power,as well as voltage regulation,regeneration,etc.
I have been following the progression from Power Plant since in was introduced. I went to my high end dealer and told them about it and was blown off in a way that made me finally realize these people were snobs...4 months later they started carring the product. Anyway, I think PS Audio's design and philosophy in the PP series in rock solid, however the PP does not address line hum caused by the neutral/hot/ground config of our electricity. I have since bought a Cinepro Power Pro 20 and love it. I'm sure the PP will do what it claims to, but again, it doesn't do it all. Read about balanced power before buying.

m-
After doing a lot of reading about these ( never used one myself ), i'd simply pass on that the general consensus is that 300 watts of rated output is somewhat "liberal". Most folks say that they find these to work best and run a LOT cooler with a max of about 180 - 220 watts of draw on them. Since most SS line level gear pulls next to nothing, that shouldn't create a problem for most basic systems. Running tubes or a very component heavy system might be another story.

You have to remember that this is basically an amplifier circuit and go from there. Running any amp at or very near rated power for extended periods of time is typically not a good thing. Maintaining a reasonable level of headroom not only minimizes strain and heat ( making the fan unnecessary ), it increases linearity and can result in increased lifespan with less hassle along the way.

Simply add up the power draw of each unit that you plan on connecting to the PS and see where the total falls. If you're somewhere around 180 - 220 watts or less, you should be okay. This would put you somewhere between 60% and less than 75% of maximum rated output, allowing appr 25% - 40% of headroom within the circuitry. Hope this helps... Sean
>
I was looking at some power protection/cleaning as well, also thinking PS300 or 600, and read the comments with interest.

What do you guys do for your amps, if they aren't plugged into the PS units? I was kind of wondering whether I'd cross their power limit with a pair of ARC VT100s (bi-amped for main spkrs) and an ARC D240 (surrounds). I'm also curious, for Martin Logan owners (or other ESL owners), whether plugging such speakers into a PS300/600 has helped...
I'm using a P300 to supply everything in the system except the two amps. There was an immediate and obvious improvement as soon as it was plugged in. It's my belief we suffer from poor quality electricity and I believe the P300 helps there, a lot. I don't have the fan. The unit runs hot to the touch but I'm not pulling anywhere near its capacity. I've experimented with the multiwave feature as well as pushing the voltage up and down. I find neither of these features makes any audible difference at all. Some multiwave settings cause the transformer in the DAC to hum. The only real negative to using it is its own transformer hum. Its not too loud but its a definite minus. I'm experimenting with resonance control now to see if it can be minimized. Last, its great protection for the system. We have frequent brown outs. When the line voltage sags, the P300 cuts out and protects everything. Its worth it for that alone.
I hate to rain down on your parade, but I'd suggest caution. I had PS300 w/Multi and wasn't too impressed. It did lower the noise floor but the music was sapped of its life and dynamism. I had it burned in for almost four weeks, and hooked all my sources to it. I called PS Audio and their suggestion was that I would have to use a PS Lab cable between the wall and PS300. I was using a Zu Cable Birth in that position, which was the best PC I had, but a PS Lab cable was at least $250-300, which would raise the price of PS300 over what I wanted to spend. So in the end I decided it wasn't worth the price and returned it.

I'm not knocking down PS300 necessarily, as I haven't had much success with power tweaks in general. Maybe the power I'm getting is clean enough, as I live out in the middle of corn field. :) But get a used one and see if you like it. If not, you would be able to sell it without taking much hit.
I have 2 of them and would not be with out them. One of my best buys! PS Audio will give you a free in home trial period for 30 days(minus shipping). You cant beat that. Do yourself a favor and try them. And NO, I do not work for PS Audio. But I will say thet Paul and PS Audio are one of the best I have ever delt with! Good Luck to You!
I have both the 300 and the 600 in separate systems and have been both surprised and impressed with the results. Impressions are similar to those described above. One version will be a must in my systems now...

Just let me know if you have any questions about the systems I use them in, etc or check older threads.

Jacob
Concur with all of the above. I have both the UO and the P300 with Multiwave, and the P300 is certainly the more dramatic improvement. The multiwave makes a big difference, too. Occasionally I have forgotten and left my P300 in normal 60 cycle mode, and after a short while listening, I can tell something's nit quite right.

You won't regret adding the P300 to your system - I wouldn't be without it!
One of the best upgrades in my system! Even better with the MULTIWAVE. Don't go for the cooling fan, though - first: it is not necessary unless you run the unit close to its limits all the time, second: the fan makes noticable noise.
When you go back to feeding your equipment from the normal mains - which I did for experience - you notice the HUGE improvement the PowerPlant does for you.
Highly recommended!
Good luck!
You should, of course, check the archives, as there are a lot of posts on this topic. I've had one a few years now, which I use for my digital gear without separate power supplies, and I'm very happy with it; blacker backgrounds, lower noise floor the principal benefits. It works best, in my experience, with equipment that does not have a highly sophisticated or regulated power supply (sort of acts as a big power supply for those items, like inexpensive CD and DVD players). One of the few high end products which I've found worth the price asked. I'm also a fan of the Multiwave option, although there are some who believe that the power port option (which I don't have) is more of an improvement than the Multiwave.
hey Whirshfield, I just bought one and am VERY pleased. Before using the PS300, I had purchased a pair of Transparent Reference speaker cables to run with my Marantz dv18, Monarchy M22C DAC, Pass x150, Paradigm Ref.60's. I was very disappointed when the sound was unbelievably bright and thought maybe the cables were just too revealing for my system. All that changed once I hooked up the PS300 (everything except the amp). The sound is wonderful - night and day. I do plan to try the high current UO with the amp. I read the posts on the UO and many suggested that the difference is not heard until it is removed from the system. With the PS300, keep in mind that you most likely will not be able to plug your amp into it. I have also heard that the Shuntyate Hydra is excellent. It's more expensive, but you can also plug your amp into it. Bottom line: I am happy with the PS300 for now. Good luck!