Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

I have many speakers and enjoy them all.beauty is in the eye of the beholder.so is sound.dad was  a physicists we build some of the first Motorola computers for home use several tube amps several speakers.i have so many equations in my head because I was raised by the scientific method.i put warm water in the ice tray in the freezer dad walks by sees it steaming then said q= mc delta t.where is your controller where are your measurements what are you going to time it with and so on.we hade a scope 6 ft tall that would arc inside when turned on.tube testers meters magnets ect. As a ear nose and throat and trauma MD who puts platers in people's heads and skull face ect I spent my life studying sound. I have the tekton moab s ulfbriks and other custom done by Eric tekton in between wilson maxx focal utopia be legacy and von s maggy evolution and others.i like them and enjoy my discussions with tekton.he will build you what you want.i knew wilson personally. I miss him.enjoy the music I say this not to gloat but you can learn something from everyone.keep an open opinoin.

Post removed 

@mark200mph 

I guess your dad didn't spend much time teaching you about spelling and punctuation.

Again artificial intelligence changes words and spelling of words at that it did .perhaps they need better programming  of thier software. My undergrad degree was computer science.this could use a software update can you do that for the android phone I'm sure you smart enough.so we don't have to have this sophmoric conversation again.

@mark200mph  Got it. It seems that AI messed a lot in your post. Maybe you could use "a scope 6 ft tall that would arc inside when turned on" to fix this "Ai".

Find yourself a dealer selling one year old demo gear, it usually goes for 50% I got my Dynaudio confidence 30 speakers for half of retail asking. 

@mark200mph 

Sophmoric? You must be kidding. Try using your own mind and fingers to type so that you can be understood.

What do you think I did. We you present and observed me.since you are so observational.

yyzsantabarbara      I own the LRS and they don't even come close to the Pendragons.....so there.

"We you present and observed me.since you are so observational."

Can someone translate this? 

It must be dementia that I have a hard time following this thread lately. (Or, maybe the thread)

I have been an Audiophile for a long time and have owned a lot of different Brands over the years including Infinity Irs Betas. I have to say my Moab’s are my favorites. Not the prettiest to look at but who cares. I use an Ps Audio Bhk preamp with a Bhk 250 power amp. I just wish Tekton would step up their game and offer some models with a nice wood finish cabinet. 

@rvito ,

I'm pretty sure you can get Tektons in almost any finish you like. Including real wood veneer. Of course, that costs more, but......it's available. At least I'm pretty sure it used to be, anyway.

If someone wanted a nice "wooden" finish, I have seen custom automobile painters that can do truely unbelievable "wood" finishes.

@toddalin 

Well of course, but the price would likely be more than the cost of the speakers. 

I was in IT for over 44 years and nobody wrote sentences that bad, so being in IT is not an excuse for proper grammar.

wood finish????..lipstick on a pig...but what does that have to do with a bad review of the speakers from Stereophile?

I wouldn’t say it was a bad review at all. I think it was pretty clear the reviewer said the Moab was a great speaker for the price and the BE version not so much because only marginally better. 

I’ll say it again, the Double Impacts do things I’ve not heard other speakers do. Giant killer for 3k? Maybe. Better than 10k + speakers? Probably not in most cases but they are pretty damn good for 3k. Never heard the Moab. 

Since 99.9999% of all stereophile reviews end up with the reviewer stating this is the best his setup has ever sounded, best of the best, and most of the time the product competes with others that are many times the price.

None of this occurred, and just the opposite happened, the ratings review of class B speakers that competed with these speakers, were 1/5th less to 1/2 the price of these tektons, not good. 

I haven’t read any of the other reviews that the reviewer has been threatened but I’m guessing these weren’t favorable reviews either. 

So Big Deal....Eric's $ 30,000 speakers don't play up to their price point according to ONE reviewer.....His $ 2,000 - $ 5,000 speakers are some of the best value speakers for the money in the marketplace.....The people that praise them are the people that actually own them.

@mbmi 

Exactly.  I just posted the same thought in another thread (although went with $3-10k).  The Double Impacts are the speaker that put Tekton on the map.  I have said this before--the value on the end product is HUGE and maybe unsurpassed in the industry when you look at the cost of all the components, cabinet, etc.  And then have it delivered across the country for $3k.  Insane value.  All of this would mean nothing if the speaker didn't sound great.  It does and in so many ways.  And to those who want to double the cost of their speaker with a fine veneer--go for it!  As for me, I would rather spend my money on sonics, not eye candy.  

As for the Moab Be, I have never heard it.  Like anything in life, value diminishes as you go up the ladder.  For me, it would never be worth it when I consider how much I have enjoyed the DI's.  

I have helped rebuild several of these speakers 

The cAbinets are a joke ,just mdf and ring like a bell

The drivers are of a ? Brand and the Xover 

Very low quality. They ever put a electrolytic capacitor

In the Xover that magnitudes more noise .

In any quality speaker poly caps or foil only   the inductors were low quality iron 

Sledge hammer type, the $30k model a giant coffin 

AnD THE BS on competing with Any quality speaker 

No way,big soundstage , thats it no great imaging 

Payed  for reviews. Why do you think they were very hot 2 years ago

Now average sales at best,and good luck on the 

Resale market, sad but True !!

“Like anything in life, value diminishes as you go up the ladder.”

You must not have heard any good speakers. I can list numerous speakers in the $3k-$10k range that would blow away the double impacts.

I suggest that you attend a few good audio shows that have good systems starting with a few grand and work your way up to the $250-$500k systems and then tell me if there isn’t a huge difference in sound quality. I have speakers in the high 5 digit range and there are some very good speakers in the low 6 digit range that are better.

That's right--never heard a good speaker.  My reference is live music--not so sure I need to a good audio show and "work my way up to $250-500k speakers".

Love it when terms like "blow away" are used.  Totally worthless and unqualified.

Value is a relative term.  A $250k speaker would never have value in my world.  But if you want to blow the bucks be my guest.

Once again a member makes a universal judgement about value based on his perspective. Doesnt help your case when you use "my world" and "blow the bucks" in the same paragraph. You admit that you see no need to listen to six figure speakers so you dont know and should remain silent. The ideal Tekton customer I should think.

Po5129 kindly please let me know what speakers below 3k that are better than DI Tekton. I collect speakers. I also attend CES annually before axpona . I do attend axpona yearly as well. Disclaimer I own Tekton monitor impact and ps 12 Tekton.

@audioman58  I have no skin in this game, I don't own and will never own Tekton speakers but I am curious as to what your  factual basis of these 2 statements are:

"Payed  for reviews."

"Now average sales at best"

Thanks in advance for providing the detailed factual specifics

I am in a multi state audioclub, if you look at reviews going back 2-3 years ago 

with all the farfair. Being in audio for decades and owning a Audio store.

I went through the politics of reviews and spoke with Companies that had excellent products ,were the magazine reviewers stated clearly put $$ x amount of $$ on 1/2 or full page ads $30k+ and we will see too you get very good reviews , 

one company ESP won speaker of the year late 90s , and several years later 

out of business because he was small he got average reviews there after plenty of politics in Audio, and myself having help upgrade many Loudspeaker Xovers 

have over 20+ years in Xover parts quality which greatly influence the sound,

I just speak about what is possible to improve the sound quality and the Xover is a weakness on most loudspeakers even over $20k ,.most mfg have no formal experience with that many parts .where I have well over 10,000 actual hours on capacitors Sonic signature and runin time on the majority of capacitors out there .

check this out  As a good reference , Humble Home made hifi capacitor test.

also Jantzen make the best quality inductors for quality,value imo.

Also the Excellent Path Audio resistors.

audioman58,

I heard those giant ESP speakers back around 2000-01, and I liked them a lot.  But, I knew it would be hard for them to succeed.  The sound was beautifully balanced and natural, but it lacked the kind of WOW factor that is often needed to grab some listeners attention.  It is very unfortunate that really good products cannot thrive just by being really good products--one has to please important reviewers, it has to have the right look, it has to be cleverly marketed, etc.

Crossovers, because they are hidden and utilize very old technology, don't have the appeal of fancy drivers where one can tout beryllium or other exotic materials, and all kinds of technological improvement.  Capacitors, inductors and resistors, very boring stuff.  

@audioman58

You didn’t provide facts to back up your statements specific to Tekton. Stating that you are in an audio club and worked in the business are not facts to substantiate your below contentions.

"Payed for reviews."

"Now average sales at best"

I’ll hazzard a guess that neither you nor anyone in these clubs have any access to Tekton business records to then make these specific claims.

I gave my opinion i dont owe anyone an explanation

These are my observations .i will leave it at that.

I think audioaudition needs to read more carefully before he speaks. I said value is relative i.e, it’s different for EVERYBODY. I have no problem with people who value 250K speakers. Please forgive my post. I know I am not worthy of members like you. I will try to remain silent Mr. Putin, as you request.

I don’t know bud, I’ve laughed my head off at the sound/squawk fest that came out of million dollar rigs at times.

If a million dollar rig is getting plopped down in a goofy living room, something is wrong with the guy that’s doing it. Spend the money on construction and get a purpose designed/built acoustic space and drop the money on treatments first..... would be my suggestion.

No matter what you spent on gear, the other 50% or more is the acoustic space/room. The human ear likes certain types of spaces, if you don't have that, it is largely a waste of time.

Then why use terms like "blow the bucks"? Point is if you dont listen you are in no position to comment on big buck components.

I dont disagree with deep's comments about the room, but I dont recall anyone suggesting a million dollar system be placed in an average room.

Has anyone parsed the Stereophile review of the Tekton Be Moabs?

It's interestingly hard to find on the Stereophile website.  If you search for it, the review doesn't come up.  If you look on the "B" listing of equipment -- aside from noticing that they are the $30K outlier among speakers generally costing 10% or so of the Moabs, there is no summary of the review.

Anyway, because of this thread, I finally found in on page 12 and read it critically:

1.  It starts with the odd phrase " VERY BAD WOULD NOT RECOMMEND" that the author said in the comments had nothing to do with the speakers.  I take him at his word, especially since he is a fan of the original Moabs.

2.  The first observation of the speakers was that it smelled so bad he had to put it in a closet with an air purifier.  This resolved after a couple of weeks.  

3.  He didn't care for the Cardas binding posts because they were hard to read.

4.  He sometimes plugged the ports with a pool noodle because the speakers were boomy.  Tekton seemed to be offended by this and said the two Stereophile guys are unique in their complaints.   (But see measurements below.)

5.  They are really good at certain percussion notes (e.g., snares and bells).

6.  "Whether the Moabs' bass performance is as authoritative and ultimately satisfying as those far more expensive speakers is debatable."

7.  He ends with "The Moab OGs [the old model, not under review] were and remain one of high-end audio's superior value propositions. Their beryllium-studded counterparts [the model being reviewed] can't lay the same claim [but they are the best Tekton has to offer and great for people who like Tektons].  Whatever that means.

When you get to the testing:

8.  "The Moab has one of the most demanding impedances I have encountered, though this will be somewhat ameliorated by the high voltage sensitivity."

9.  "The Moab Be's enclosure seemed lively when I rapped it with my knuckles." And goes on to discuss various modes, which may or may not matter. 

10.  There is woofer interference, but it's probably OK since the ports fire away from the listener.

11.  "Moab Be's low-frequency alignment does appear somewhat under-damped. The peak in the ports' output at 248Hz results in a small discontinuity at the same frequency in the woofers' response."

12.  "he Moab Be's measured performance suggests that with care in setup it will offer a neutral sonic balance"

In short, it's not a great review.  Now whether the reviewer and tester know their stuff, I have no idea.  I don't know either and am no expert in a position to critique their work.

But it's super interesting that when you search "Tekton Moab" in the search bar of Stereophile, the review doesn't come up.

it's super interesting that when you search "Tekton Moab" in the search bar of Stereophile, the review doesn't come up.

No, it isn't. Anyone will have the same experience with many, many search terms plugged into the Stereophile search bar. The search function on the site is profoundly broken. I know that's not as exciting as suggesting that there's some kind of conspiracy afoot, so...I'm sorry to disappoint.