Mcintosh MAC7200 or Hegel H390 for a new pair of Kef R7 META

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new pair of Kef R7 Metas. Which amp would be a better match? I love the look of the 7200, but does it have enough power for these speakers? 

mrbanker32

The MAC7200 is a great receiver / Amp.    It's a much better Amp than a Hegel.

You asked if it is enough power. I don’t see why that pairing would not work well together!

The mac with the tuner and DAC would be a nice optioned receiver and the DAC2 optional board is definitely something to consider its quite good for the money. Both are excellent amps but i think you get more for the money from the MAC, not to mention the resale value will always be higher on the Mac down the road. 

Get the McIntosh, it’s 200wpc into 2, 4 and 8 ohms.  Hi Fi+ gushed over it. 

Hell yes! and then some, McIntosh rates all their amps conservetivly so it puts out a little more then stated as well :-) And the KEFs are rated at 88db sensitivity! so it will be very nice indeed.

Matt m

If it were me I’d spend the extra $1000 and get the 8950 instead of the 7200.  I believe the 7200 comes with the DA1 module and the 8950 comes with the DA2.  8950 also has tone controls and no receiver.  Either will drive the Kefs no problem.

@mrbanker32 Sorry I was unclear, the 7200 does not have the 5 band tone controls that the 8950 has. Some like the controls others don’t. I have an 8900 with tone controls and I use them. The receiver is not a bad thing, just depends on whether you want to listen to terrestrial radio. I don’t listen to radio anymore so it would just be something I would never use. I would rather spend the extra grand for a better DAC module and the tone controls. Whether that’s what you want only you can answer. Either way both have 200wpc and will drive the Kefs well. I will add that the 8950 is the newest version of their 200wpc integrated and while I’ve not listened to it I have read that some find it more engaging than the 8900 it replaced.

@jastralfu ok thank you! I've heard the Hegel is very analytical sounding compared to the Mcintosh. I think the Mcintosh would be a big step up paired with those speakers. 

I’ve never heard any Hegel so I can’t speak to them but I do really enjoy my ma8900.  If you can, get out and listen to both so you know what you’re getting into.  You’re spending a good chunk of money make sure you get what sounds good to you.

The MAC7200 at 200 WPC into 2,4, or 8 Ohms will easily drive the KEF R7 Metas, which call for 15-250 Watts at 4 Ohms.

My 7200 is connected via a passive splitter to the TV antenna mounted in my attic and I listen to broadcast FM for several hours each night, and mostly stream during the day.

I'll probably upgrade the 7200's DA1 to a DA2 at some point, but am in no hurry.

The 7200 would make a fine choice - enjoy whatever sounds best to you!

If it were me I’d spend the extra $1000 and get the 8950 instead of the 7200. I believe the 7200 comes with the DA1 module and the 8950 comes with the DA2. 8950 also has tone controls and no receiver. Either will drive the Kefs no problem.

totally agree. The optional upgatable da2 will cost more then 1k, and 8950 holding some other advantage. In short, go for 8950😁

As a Hegel H390 owner driving some Vandersteen Treo CTs, I can only say the sound is much more neutral than any Mcintosh I've heard (which IMO usually much warmer). The Hegel h390 is 250 wpc and also has a damping factor of 4,000 (that's not a misprint) vs. the McIntosh damping factor of "greater than 40." If you have a chance to do an A/B comparison at some place, I'd certainly do it. While I agree McIntosh may hold it's resale value more today, the Hegel hasn't had that many years to establish it's reputation in the USA. Bottom line, though, is whatever sounds the best to you.

@aphilc I've heard the H390 and it sounds great, but the Mcintosh has a signature sound thats hard to beat. 

They are both overkill for any of the R series speakers! I have an H390 and it sounds great on my KEF Reference 5’s, The Hegel is $6k and the Mac is $8k.  Why did you pick these to power $2.5k speakers? 
The “rule of thumb” that I grew up with is the speakers should cost twice what your amp does. Obviously, nothing is cut in stone, but.

Oh and if you like the Hegel sound, you can get a used H190 for about $3k.

let us all know whatever you decide.

I totally disagree with McIntosh option unless you are so used to McIntosh sound. Hegel 360 is one of the best amp for the price. Absolutely fantastic, neutral, coherent, does not color, excellent separation, and immense base control. McIntosh can’t give you any of these. It will give you a nicer retro look and two blue meters. As an H590 owner. I strongly recommend Hegel.

@mrbanker32   Comparing McIntosh to Hegel is an insult to the legacy of McIntosh. Buy the best MAC amp for your KEF R7 Meta even if it means waiting/saving in the short term, you will be rewarded. The MA 12000 Integrated is the sweet spot of all McIntosh amplifiers. Don’t let the outdated notion of over spending on electronics for speakers curtail you. Remember watts are cheap quality is not!

Comparing a Mcintosh to a Hegel an "insult to the legacy of McIntosh?" Only if you're stuck in history. There are many more choices today, Hegel being one of the best.

@aphilc so what are you saying? I'm confused. 

I'm saying McIntosh has a virtual cult following steeped in a long history of good amplifiers and other electronics. However, Hegel is among many newer brands (within the last 10 - 15 years) that can compete well with a McIntosh amplifier but don't have the "legacy" of Mac since Hegel is relatively "new" to the USA market having debuted in the USA in 2009 (if memory serves me right). As I've  said, IMO Macs are a warmer-sounding amp and convey deep bass having earned their initial reputation providing power for some well-known rock band concert amplification (of which you are probably aware). However, the Hegel H390 would be among the amps that have a more neutral sound and don't impart a specific sonic signature compared to the "McIntosh sound signature" which by that very phrase indicates the Mac is coloring the signal slightly. Other amps that don't "color" the sound would be Benchmark or some of the Burmester amps that convey a more neutral sound than a Mac IMO. That's why I was suggesting if there was a way to A/B compare the Mac with a Hegel you might hear the difference.

I had the same dilemma, wanted a mac, because it’s a Mac. Love the sound of the Hegal 390, so I bought both. Problem solved. The Hegal is a really great sounding amp. 

hegel if it was only between the two you mentioned, take a entry level accuphase over either tho

@aphilc Good explanation. If money was no object, what amp would you get for the speakers I'm looking at? 

If money is no object, I do believe you'd be happy with Hegel H390 Integrated amplifier. However, I have never listened to the KEF r7s and don't consider myself an expert on pairing an amp to them. What amplifier was used when you may have auditioned them? Plus, I do susbscribe to prior comments you saw in this thread that usually pair electronics that are slightly less expensive than the  speakers themselves. So, since the KEF r7s sell for around $5,000 or so a pair (as I recall), you owe it to yourself to consider the Benchmark AHB2 if you want the purest, non-colored sonics in its price range ($3499 last I looked) OR the NAD M23 - very clear, but since it's a Class D amplifier, you might be hesitant but people tell me it also delivers very clean, articulated sonics. Wish I had the time to delve into this further, but this is the best I can do. Good luck to you.

I can vouch for the Hegel flag. I’ve never heard the 390, but I replaced my Pass Int 60 with a H590 and never looked back. Nothing wrong with Pass but thought my upgraded speakers needed more watts. Whoever posted colorless is right. You get what seems to me a true representation of what was recorded. You can easily tell what poor engineering and acoustics is and good.  recordings sound really good!

I had a similar choice to make earlier this year as I went back and forth between Hegel H390 or McIntosh MAC7200 / MA8950. Luckily, a local dealer had both to look at and audition.

Both companies make outstanding integrated amplifiers (receiver in the case of the MAC7200). You can’t lose with either. Old McIntosh (from decades ago) had a house sound which is referred to a lot on these boards, but modern McIntosh products are much more neutral sounding in their design.

As mentioned, the ability to upgrade the DAC inside the McIntosh products as things advance is a great feature. The DA1 and DA2 (I have McIntosh products that have each of these internal DACs) both sound excellent.

Hegel integrated amps are manufactured in China (designed in Norway), though I would not be surprised to see Chinese components in McIntosh gear. That may or may not matter to you.

Food for Thought Category: I was tempted by several used Hegel H590’s at that time that were heavily depreciated from new with seemingly good histories / owners for (around) the price of a new H390.

I fully agree with the thought process of the MA8950 over the MAC7200 if you can do without the tuner to get the DA2 Digital to Analog converter.

McIntosh or Hegel units with 200+ watts should be more than enough for most listening sessions and environments. Both have tons of power; again a toss-up.

I replaced a bottom of the barrel McIntosh MA5300 which I put up for sale immediately (which was a really, really nice sounding integrated). I took a loss (of course), but it sold very quickly; so resale is good on McIntosh products.

Buy the unit that speaks to you more...but you can't lose with either!

I'd consider a Unison Research, Unico 150 to pair with the KEF R towers... a departure from the mainstream yes but maybe read the reviews and try and demo one. I bought a 150 for my son & his wife for their new place. He's got Focal, Kanta No. 1 & I have to say, it is an impressive pairing for sure.

https://unisonresearch.com/en/prodotti/unico-150/

@jheppe815 Great advice! I was very close to pulling the trigger on a new pair of Meridian DSP5200Se but decided to go the separate route. Thanks for the breakdown!