Systems over $100k

Which of you has a $100k+ system...? Do you plan to upgrade?

128x128infection

My system is about 100K but that counts all the stuff I bought over 50 years and discarded. You can duplicate what I'm listening to now for about 8K, half that used. 

I would be afraid to try and figure out all of the money that I have spent over the years. Not even close to many here, but like you, many thousands more than the total of what I own now, but I have no regrets. There were many things that I needed to try for myself, and I did that. I'm still doing it.

$350k + system, $200k custom built listening room. The system is constantly changing as it is a diagnostic tool for developing new audio products.

Yours in music,

Ted Denney III

Lead Designer/CEO Synergistic Research Inc.

Close if you bought everything new and yes, there is always something better on the horizon. 

Post removed 

Mine is around $150K… I started with a Marantz 1040 integrated amp in 1972. I have been learning and upgrading ever since to the system I have now. All of my components are pretty new. I have finished tweaking interconnects and power cords. I have one more power cord to go. I’ve got an upgraded arm for my Linn turntable on the way. I’ll add podiums for my speakers.

Since I have all Audio Research Reference gear and could not be happier I will probably just keep them contemporary.

I'm setting in my 37 year old room that I built, lock, stock and barrel for 6500.00 and the car port. The system is 55 years old with 45 year old speakers. I paid 1300.00 for The MX110z, MC225, RS4b, Sony ES5400, Russco TT and my cables.

I paid more in PG&E last year. :-) Cable was 19.00 a month for the FM side of the MX110z back then.. Stream that.. Still use the same gear as I type.. 

Throw it in the hole and load me in after.. Mcintosh gear has to be in heaven. :-)

Regards

Poverty Bay Sound room in my virtual system pictures, you can add it up for grins and giggles. It’s less than a halfway decent fishing boat or at least that’s what I tell the War Dept.

I certainly enjoy it :-) not everyone cup of tea, nor should it be….

have fun enjoy the ride….

jim

Throw it in the hole and load me in after.. Mcintosh gear has to be in heaven. :-)

Lol!!

@ted_denney  I think most of us have seen your room Ted & it's impressive. Are you still using the Acoustic Signature?

Yes still the reference along with soundSmith Hyperion Mk II cartridge.

How about a system that costs $10,000 that sounds better than a $100,000 system?

I have a nice system and I am still going to upgrade.  Going to add the new Lampizaotr Horizon DAC over my current Lampi Pacific.  Also working on Room Acoustics between Viscoustic Acoustics and GIK.  

Post removed 

I worked out the replacement cost when I insured it to move from the UK to France at around €120k, there was some doubt as the speakers haven’t been made for 15 years and the turntable maker is no longer in existence. Only a speaker change is under consideration as I’m moving again and the new place has plasterboard lined walls which my not suit my speakers designed to go close against a solid one. It might be possible to treat the wall instead.

Cartridges are forever a temptation but funds are more limited since I retired so keeping consumables costs under control is more of an issue.

I’m planning for a service of the electronics in about 10 years and probably won’t need to worry about another in 25.

@ted_denney 

A little off topic, but, what is the brand of armchair in your pic? It looks nice. Is it your listening chair? I am looking for a set of front row arm chairs that are comfortable for music listening and with enough plushness for watching moves. The front row seats I have now are huge Palliser home theater seats which eat into my space and I keep them extended to lower the backrests because they block the mids from the speakers. Thnx. 

I’m curious as to whether anyone has (or had) a $100k+ system for whom an upgrade entailed lowering the $$ value of the system.

For example, you found that some piece of equipment was not right for the system and a lower priced unit actually increased the sonic achievements. Or a used unit.

Or perhaps moved from an elaborate, expensive system to one which was more right-sized for your ears, room, etc.?

my system is over $100k (rather not estimate the investment). just a month ago upgraded my digital dac and server--Wadax (new gear not yet noted on my audiogon system page). but here is a link to info on my new digital.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/wadax-reference-dac-and-server-arrive.34173/

i do have some enhancements in-bound for my vinyl playback. new cartridges and a new tonearm.

my system has been static as far as amps/preamp/speakers and room/acoustics for 6 years now (took me 10 years in my dedicated purpose built room to get it right but that part is done). but i’m about to retire so wanted to get the sources optimized while i can still make the money to pay for them.

overall love to listen to my system for hours every day. brings me joy and is very satisfying.

I broke $100k on my system early last year after retiring.  I replaced everything but my speakers and turntable last year.  I planned to replace my speakers early this year but after changing out electronics, running dedicated power lines, adding the AQ Niagara, adding a wood floor with wool rugs, adding acoustic treatments and a month of concerted effort to get the bass right with subs and speaker placement; new speakers are no longer a priority.  I have also made several tweaks that turned out very well.  Not all tweaks turn out well but that is part of the fun of discovery.  I also have a new turntable being built right now.  I expect my system to be stable after this final equipment change.

It is true that the room is an integral part of the stereo system.  I am fortunate to have a large den and so was able to dedicate the room to the stereo.  The biggest lesson this past year was how to get the bass right.  Even after room treatments and adding a 7/8" wood floor it still took me a month of effort to finally get the bass to sound as good as what I heard on a very expensive pair of speakers at the store.

All I want to do now is listen to music.  I noted that the tube timer on my preamp showed 1300 hours after one year.  That's 3.6 hours/day on average.  The longest I seem to be able to go without turning the stereo on is about two days.  I guess I am getting good value from my stereo.

I will never exceed $50k where I am at now. 

If I do I will have sell one of my 4 motorcycles, that is my contract with my wife. 

Post removed 

@audioquest4life

A little off topic, but, what is the brand of armchair in your pic? It looks nice. Is it your listening chair? I am looking for a set of front row arm chairs that are comfortable for music listening and with enough plushness for watching moves. The front row seats I have now are huge Palliser home theater seats which eat into my space and I keep them extended to lower the backrests because they block the mids from the speakers. Thnx.

This was my living room system when I lived in Newport Beach. The chair was purchased with a sofa of the same design at Design Within Reach. I believe it’s from Spain. This system played into an open floor plan that you could hear in the kitchen, and the dining room. Sounded really good for floor to ceiling glass on both sides, with wooden floors, and a minimalist esthetic so, not much to break up the sound. In my actual reference system I use Herman Miller Eames lounge chairs that do not extend up past your shoulders. You definitely don’t wanna chair that extends up behind your ears, unless you’re trying to mitigate bad acoustics behind your seating position. And even then.

The evolution of an audiophile. I started with Phase Linear, Revox A77, Empire TT, Epicure, didn't give cables a 2nd thought back in the day. This was a lot of money back than. Now Gryphon Mephisto/Pandora/EMM's DV2, M12 switch, Cardas, JCAT LPS, Cables, JA Pearl 20/20's. Still in pursuit of improvement. Now Gryphon's new APEX/Commander enters the fray.  One either comprehends this pursuit or not? What ever floats your boat? Its just not possible to put together a world class system without spending a lot of money. I don't dictate the pricing, if one is fortunate to be able to delve this deep, be grateful. 

no, it was removed because someone ’reported’ your comment. and it’s one of the words that get the post removed when it's reported.

i did not see your ’removed’ post, and am speculating how the process works.

@mikelavigne  I suppose you're right...which makes him even more of an idiot. Oh no I'll probably be banned now. 

Teds 350K system is due to 1000% profit he makes on his cables.  And, we audiophools are dumb enough to pay the prices. 

Post removed 
Post removed 
Post removed 

I suspect the upgrades for most of us won't end until we age out. I know I'm done building my last system, I have nothing to complain about as to sound quality, no reason to start over.

My sense is once you've settled on amp, preamp and speakers you're in good place. Sources and tuning are enough to keep one occupied, and having settled on vast majority of inherent sound qualities playing at the margins completely satisfying. Optimizing my streaming has totally reinvigorated my interest in discovery and experimentation. At some point this too will be settled, already have plans for vinyl side upgrades.

I suppose if one's into modding and tuning there's never an end point, system value has no bearing on this. Again, it will likely be age or death that imposes static system on me.

@jakesnak sounds like you already have a great reference system. Do you think you’ll purchase the Apex/Commander? 

Seriously considering that. You start to wonder where the money will be best spent.  Pandora/Mephisto is a great combination. That combo with top tier Rockport, Lyra (hard to beat) Vs Apex/Commander with my JA Pearl 20/20's? First combo is money better spent. Incrementally, you want the biggest impact for the buck. The point I am attempting to make is, best to think the incremental improvements out to accomplish biggest bank for the buck. Often people don't look far enough as to what they may eventually obtain.

Often people don't look far enough as to what they may eventually obtain.

Indeed. 

@infection I try to never say never, but as I mentioned I'm aging out of another rebuild of system, and my planned upgrades and mods with streaming and vinyl setups means basics will likely never get changed.

I mod cars and motorcycles in a similar manner to my audio systems, the bikes and cars always come to endpoint, can't say the same about audio, at least to this  point. I guess the mere thought of starting again with new amps, pre's and speakers is too overwhelming, I'd feel too much at loose ends.

I guess the mere thought of starting again with new amps, pre's and speakers is too overwhelming

Yeah can be...

Post removed 

I bought my house because the living room had an ideal setup for a HT/stereo.  Does that count??

@jakesnak 

did you compare Rockport Lyra to the Cygnus? I use Cygnus and considering Lyra.

i preferred Nagra HD to the Pandora, with the Solos.

respectfully, 

Jose